Anime recommendations / discussion

Cromartie high school is my all time fave comedy anime. Been watching saiki and love it so far. I’ll check out sunred, thanks for the rec

2 Likes

I also loved cromartie. I wish there was more of it. mechazawa gives me permagrin.

He’s got a really weird face man…

1 Like

Looks cool, I’ll have to check it out.

Both

Kaiji
Akagi

Are kind of odd ball ones, interesting gambling themed animes full of mind games.

I’m kind of more of an old head when it comes to anime I suppose, not many modern series I like to look at. I did enjoy psycho mob 100 quite a lot though. Most interested in finding old OVAs and junk that I missed

Berserk 1997. Steel yourself.

Whoa whatever that is I want it

I watched kaiji up until a certain episode and then decided it was a bit outside of my comfort level for some of the sadistic stuff that happens…

did you watch One Outs? it’s like kaiji with baseball. That’s the best way I could describe it.

I didn’t watch akagi, but it’s the same artist as kaiji right?

I’ve seen a lot of old OVA’s but not sure what genre your interests are in? if Kaiji then that’s a pretty specific style.

lol apparently you can get it if you don’t mind a tiny version, that’s mechazawa from cromartie high school. It’s an acquired taste but pretty funny.

1 Like

omigod cannot believe I forgot my true favorite mecha show of all time: Vision of Escaflowne!

I thought it would make the move from Funimation to Crunchyroll but now its on Apple TV. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s not a typical mecha setting, but… if the phrase “steampunk sword swinging mecha” appeals to you, check it out

yeah that’s why I mentioned the vision of escaflowne as similar to shingeki no kyojin instead of gundam. it has mecha but it’s more steampunk.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/182/Tenkuu_no_Escaflowne?q=vision%20of%20escaflown&cat=anime

did you prefer the series or the film? they’re a bit different.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/393/Escaflowne

I appreciated each as separate works of art

I would absolutely recommend that you watch juuni kokuki

no mecha but similar feel to escaflowne. female protagonist is super annoying for the first couple episodes then takes a huge leap in character growth and you start rooting for her.

Also since your avatar is from working I’m making an assumption that you watched servant x service since it’s the same author, but if not then servant x service is really entertaining and feels like a similar tone to the humor of Working.

1 Like

Yep, watched Servant x Service and Working!! and loved both! Also watched WWW.Working which was ok.

I can anticipate what you’re going to ask @MichaalHell - the first title has a lot of humor based on the MC’s breast size, although she is very much a grown up woman with agency, not a helpless underaged girl… the 2nd has no fan service from what I can remember - very wholesome imo.

Twelve Kingdoms is in my queue/watchlists.

I have a very, very long queue btw.

1 Like

I’m more of a kill la kill kinda guy. few too many poopie jokes in dead leaves for my taste but the direction is great lol

1 Like

yeah not specifically kaiji but stuff like Black Magic M-66 is pretty cool or anything similar to angel’s egg (if there is anything that is) Ninja Scroll was cool or Vampire hunter D.

haha some of those early OVAs kind of go too far for my tastes though, its a bit of a roll of the dice every time I boot one up I haven’t seen. Some stuff on this list looks kinda cool 80s & 90s OVA Watchlist - Interest Stacks - MyAnimeList.net

1 Like

Despite living in Japan I wouldn’t consider myself a big fan of Anime.

That said, Fist of the North Star is absolutely dope. Got into it after watching Abema TV during the World Cup. This channel has dedicated streams of 80’s … 90’ … 00’s as well as other channels of Japanese TV.

I’m currently watching Anpanman constantly. My kid loves it. It’s super sweet and I’m enjoying it too.

Here’s the link to said channel.

https://abema.tv/

2 Likes

juza

2 Likes

Just so I get it out of the way, not OVA’s specifically but have you seen Haibane Renmei?

or serial experiments lain

Yoshitoshi abe did the character designs for both of those and the story in lain is by chiaki j konaka who has a really interesting sense of storytelling.

both are a trip.

I’m just going to pm you about that list because my response is getting pretty long.

Technolyze was fucked up, but definitely unique

1 Like