Anime recommendations / discussion

Serial Experiments Lain is definitely cool, haven’t seen haibane renmei so I will try and check that out also.

tehcnolyze is also written by chiaki j konaka and yes it is fucked up. I didn’t like the end. made me a little ill.

haibane renmei is a trip. I thought it was good.

1 Like

Been awhile but Oedo 808 and Genocyber were pretty rad OVAs

I might check out oedo 808, have not seen that. I didn’t watch genocyber because it wasn’t rated very highly but I remember being younger and those manga man trailers would show previews for it.

A fucking weird and kind of fucked up series is mouryou no hako which I was blanking on the name of and had to go find.

Also a lot of people are into Monster and it’s referred to as a “masterpiece”, I mean I thought it was good also but it’s a little longwinded.

3 Likes

Fist of the Northstar is definitely one of my favs

1 Like

have you guys tried pui pui molcar with your kid? it’s great.

1 Like

It reminds me of Mad Max. Sick aesthetic.

1 Like

Yes hahahaha that is a funny one! Adorably cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and a tad weird if I recall correctly.

1 Like

it’s both cute and weird. I also liked chimimo, which was recent. I could see kids and adults both being entertained by various aspects of it.

1 Like

I think some people might enjoy Mugen No Ryvius (infinite ryvius/ infinity of ryvius) - It’s older, but it checks a lot of boxes. Psychological, sci-fi, in space, some robots but not really mecha, strange technology, a bunch of kids alone on a spaceship and pursued by a part of the government who want to hush them up about things they shouldn’t have witnessed. It’s pretty good. It’s sort of Lord of the flies meets Toy Soldiers.

Just to amend this, if the characters look familiar, the character desginer has a very distinct style. Hirai, Hisashi is the same person who designed the characters for Gundam Seed, Ginga kikoutai Majestic prince, Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor and numerous other series with nearly identical characters :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Today I’d recommend Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri,
or just “Gate” if you want something that has some fantasy and action but not all swords and sorcery. A portal opens between a fantasy world and our world, our world suffers an attack from the other side raiding downtown Tokyo, the Japanese military then goes on an expedition through the gate to set up a defense and try to rescue some civilians taken captive, later demonstrating the difference between modern firepower and a world still trapped mostly in technology from the Middle Ages. Lots of comedy, fantasy elements - typical D&D character tropes, some action, good voice acting, great animation, likeable ensemble cast. Fun times.

second cour:

Fwiw as someone who’s been mostly disappointed with the anime classics (including Cowboy Bebop) the recent Dorohedoro series was very good. By anime standards, it was outstanding. Can also recommend the 90s Berserk; it still suffers from all the storytelling weaknesses that seem ubiquitous in anime, but less so.

1 Like

I also enjoyed dorohedoro. I hope they opt to continue the story as a sequel bringing back MAPPA on production.

You might try Kuuchuu Buranko as a step even further towards the bizarre.

or for something less cerebral with a little more of a plot and odd storyline/humor the first (not the recent) FLCL (fooly cooly) OVA from 2000/2001, It lives up to the history of other GAINAX oddities.

2 Likes

Awesome ty—these weren’t on my radar. Like seemingly everyone else whos seen Dorohedoro I’m baffled it hasn’t gotten more attention.

I was hesitant at first because I’m not that into full cg productions but the plot and characters are pretty hilarious. Mappa is good when they’re good, but kinda hit or miss with expression of plot. For dorohedoro, there are only a few and they’re short, but the omake extras from the dvd release are pretty good too if you haven’t seen them.

I looked into the plot after the show ended to find out who all the characters they’re teasing in the outro of the last episode were. Some major plot twists coming, I’m concerned it wasn’t commercially successful enough to get a follow up even though there’s plenty of source material.

I think it’s nice to have some titles which you don’t have to take very seriously so in that spirit some of my favorites with possible infinite rewatch value are

Shirokuma Cafe (polarbear’s cafe)

Azumanga Daioh

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet the Town Moves)

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! (Konosuba- a blessing on this wonderful world)

and Nichijou (everyday life) which I might have mentioned already but is a funny step towards the bizarre and hilarious.

Of course there are many more of this harmless and funny variety, but for damage control if someone is looking for not cute and funny, here is one that is a little bit dark, has some weird time travel elements, and is an interesting mystery.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi (ERASED)

Also a wildcard old school recommendation which is mostly comedic with a few random heartfelt moments.

Musekinin Kanchou Tylor (The Irresponsible Captain Tylor)

I think that’s enough for today, happy weekend.

2 Likes

I’m not the only one who noticed, lol

yep, an all time great comedy anime

1 Like

You may be interested in this if you like polar bear’s puns:

(PDF) Embbed Dajare Word Play Process in “Shirokuma Café” (researchgate.net)

Interesting analyses here.

1 Like

This came out of nowhere a few years back to become one of my favorite shows ever:

The title and snippet above make it sound like a supernatural anime, but it’s not; it’s just about five young women trying to make their way in 2010s small-town Japan. Kind of a hangout show, but it grows to be surprisingly affecting.

1 Like

One of my favorite episodes

1 Like