Anime recommendations / discussion

I liked sakura quest a lot, I find most (not all) but most of PA works anime to be quite enjoyable.

If you missed KuroMukuro it’s the only mecha anime I recall them doing and it was also pretty entertaining, somehow on the border of slice of life and mecha.

1 Like

Shirokuma rap is great. I also like the one where handa san gives sasako his rock collection rock and she thinks the gift is the box that the rock came in. So many great episodes really. The one where the kid masaki learns to brew coffee. I could go on.

Llama is one of my favorite characters because daisuke ono is so talented.

Hard to believe he voiced nendou in saiki kusou! what a dynamic range!

That looks right up my alley!

Reminds me, it is also my duty to recommend Planetes:

This might actually be my favorite anime series. While the Cowboy Bebops and Evangelions of the world rightfully deserve their fame, I can probably say this is the most underrated production I’ve seen.

It’s super-hard sci-fi, with no robots (giant or humanoid), no aliens or exotic physics; just a plausible orbital economy in the late 21st Century. And yet, it has an incredible degree of humanity in its characters and how it fleshes out their backgrounds, their triumphs and sorrows, all without tipping over into melodrama. It’s… inspiring?

The opening song still gets me. :musical_note: Don’t be afraid you can go-o-o-o… :musical_note:

I have tried to watch planetes 3 times. I don’t know why I can’t get into it. I’ve watched all 99 episodes of uchuu kyoudai, all sorts of slow anime, speed reading through tatami galaxy, but I can’t seem to make it past the life insurance episode of planetes… or maybe it’s health insurance, I’ll have to look back to the episode guide.

I have a hard time with “the scolder” trope, when theres a character that does a lot of scolding I start to tune it out. I almost stopped watching Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru because the kid was so scoldy…

for what it’s worth, the anime is not bad though.

Ah… a lot of Hachimaki’s early scenes are definitely abrasive. Once they give him a little more vulnerability he becomes a deeper character, but I can totally get that being a little too grating!

I’ll try it one more time, thanks for the reminder. It’s really highly rated, I figured it must get moving at some point.

Oh yeah, the cast was stacked!

Llama - Daisuke Ono

Polar Bear/Shirokuma - Takahiro Sakurai (McGillis in Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, Reigen in Mob Psycho 100, Gipple in Magical Circle Guru Guru which shocked me, super long resume…)

Panda - Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch in Code Geass, Souta in Working!!, Yuuta in Chuunibyo, etc etc.)

Penguin - Hiroshi Kamiya (Natsume in Natsume’s Book of Friends, Hiroomi in Working!!, etc etc)

Grizzly - Yuichi Nakamura (Mashiba in Working!!, Nozaki in Monthly Girls’ Nozaku-kun, Shigure in Fruits Basket, etc. etc.)

Mei Mei - Kana Hanazawa (Kanade in Angel Beats, Shirase in A Place Further than the Universe, etc. etc.)

Wolf - Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki in Gintama, Joseph Joestar, TJ in Appare-Ranman, etc. etc.)

… and the list just goes on…

One of my fave Llama moments was when he showed off his smartphone skills. The show has several great ED tunes, including his

1 Like

Osomatsu san is essentially a shirokuma cafe reunion, although I couldn’t appreciate it past the second season to be frank. I really liked the cast being back together though. There were even some limited edition animate goods for the “crossover” if I remember correctly.

maybe it wasn’t animate, I’ll have to find it.

now that I look, it was some kind of sega cafe collab, lol weird.

Also it’s hilarious that panda mama is Toshiyuki Morikawa - MyAnimeList.net who has been all over the place and never played a role like that. brilliant.

This post came just as I started to re-watch again Demon Slayer. :pray:

1 Like

I haven’t gone through Demon Slayer, did you enjoy it?

1 Like

Another 2010s modern classic that I’m surprised no one has mentioned so far in this thread:

This one is hard to properly describe. The synopsis will give you what it’s about, but that doesn’t quite do it justice.

It’s a family drama (where the family happens to be one of shapeshifting tanuki) but with this overriding sense of being almost outside of time. It draws deeply from the local culture and traditions of Kyoto, building this world that is simultaneously steeped in centuries of real-world tradition and a fantastical lens through which its folklore comes to life.

There’s really just nothing else like it.

2 Likes

I found it a little depressing… I mean it’s very well done, but like how his dad got eaten and his “shisho” is obsessed with the former pupil who is not a good person. And she hangs out with the group that eats tanuki? His brother is ostracised and his other brother turned into a frog and won’t come back. I don’t know. it was darker than I expected.

No judgement about liking it, like I said it’s well done. I just have a hard time getting into something depressing I think. Not saying there’s nothing past that but I guess I only made it far enough to get depressed and move on…

I’m not surprised because we’re still feeling out each others’ tastes. I’ve held back some titles myself because I didn’t think there would be interest.

I honestly didn’t think there would be other people here who appreciated anime genres such as comedy, slice of life, etc.

Eccentric Family is great! A unique show indeed.

1 Like

I like some anime I just can’t see anyone being interested in, I’m doing my best to list stuff people would like.

I actually really enjoy Non Non biyori, that’s sort of my speed. I’ve watched it 3 times lol.

1 Like

As @GovernorSilver said, we’re all still feeling out each others’ tastes. No shame in it not being to yours!

For me, its particular flavor of bittersweet melancholy is something I really enjoy when it’s done with care.

1 Like

iconic scene!

Found out later several members of the production staff were also working on Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure so the similar style of attack was not a coincidence.

1 Like

I think something that has both sides of that coin (for me) is

Fune wo Amu (The Great Passage)

or Usagi drop

more sweet than bitter. I like some that are clinically boring lol.

But also something like Seishun Bunta Yarou is great

and especially in the dreaming girl film it’s a bit tear jerky

1 Like

Did you know the sister hika nee is in the authors other manga where she rooms in tokyo at her boarding school with the devils daughter? interesting crossover.

Renge chan’s frog song is probably one of my favorite jokes of the series as a whole.

1 Like

She’s the star of the show, no question.

Another epic scene, and of course with a Jojo’s influence

1 Like

Yeah this is a brilliant scene. I really like the interaction between renge and Kaede (dagashiya).

You would probably really like Barakamon. Another favorite.

I like the episode (of non non biyori) in the most recent season where the other younger girl calls renge o-nee chan and renge’s like oooh- ooh-nee! so glad to be older than someone

1 Like