Another audio interface advice

Hi there!

I previously had a Scarlett 18i20 (first gen), but 2 ins broke down suddenly. I sold it and it’s been a long time I haven’t replaced it (no time). Now, I’m thinking about buying something else, and I’m a bit lost in the different possible solutions.

What I need:

• I have to plug different synths and fx (no mic or instruments)
  • The more i/o, the better it is (8 analog i/o of my Scarlett was a bit too few, so I bought a patchbay)
  • I need good converters quality (Of course… who need bad? Don’t know), low latency, stability

What I thought:

• Ok, let’s go to rme! Phew, it’s expensive.
    So, I thought it could be good to buy a second hand firewire 800, so nice converters for around 400€. But some people warned me about firewire drivers compatibility with further windows…
    So, I thought to buy RME UCX, still pricey around 800€, RME UC around 700€, could be okay, but it’s from 2009! Isn’t it hasardous to buy 24 years old gear ?

• Ok, let’s move to something else.
    So I’ve found the Audient Evo 16, around 450€ new. This is probably the best financial option. And the sound quality looks good: a little bellow rme, a little above scarlett 18i20 gen3. Though I heard some have problems. If I take it, I can buy a patchbay, and a rack. Or I could expand it with Behringer ada8200. It is said the preamps are nice and the converters are excellent. This solution could be good, but…

• Am I missing somehing ?
    I’ve found some mixers are good in the audio interface domain, and are rackable. For example Presonus Studiolive AR16c, Tascam Model 16, Soundcraft Signature 12 mtk. But are converters better than Audient Evo 16 ? Some send audio pre eq… Which is bad. Some doesn’t have direct out, which I need…
    Or should I go with a mix of those two ? First buy the Audient Evo 16 and behringer ada8200, then later, buy a good analog rack mixer like Midas Venice 160 or old Mackie ?

What are your thoughts about this ? Rme UC ? Audient Evo 16 + ada8200 ? Or only a usb mixer ? Or a hybrid solution : audio interface + analog mixer ? I’m a bit lost about it…

Thank you!

Motu?

1 Like

Which one? I’ve read lots of comments sayng motu is not stable… Of course, it’s still possible we don’t talk about the stable motu experiences…

MOTU Ultralite MK5 for all the reasons pointed out in all the other threads. Big plus for you is it’s expandedable.

See other threads for full details.

2 Likes

Not if it’s RME. Or Metric Halo. If it’s Antelope then it’s hazardous to buy 1 at year old.

1 Like

Give me a day with your time machine and I’ll bring you ten of your favorite currently in production RMEs. :innocent:

3 Likes

Get a Scarlett 3rd gen and an Octopre. You’ll get all 18i20. Add a patch bay and you’re golden. That was my rig for years.

1 Like

Spend less money, write better songs and no one will care if your interface is top tier or not.

3 Likes

And what is your rig now?

Thank you. You will tell me if my tracks need to be better writed, that way I can know how much I can reduce my investment.

First example here: Path of Dissolutions | Hoshin | Cryo Chamber
Second example here: the old way to clouds | Hoshin | Databloem

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

i use the cranbourne audio 500 rb with the adat expansion box. Not cheap, but it gives me the flexability i need, and access to top quality 500 series modules which i build from diy kits to keep the cost down. Much prefer the conversion on this to RME.

I think what he wants to say is that there’s no objective need to obsess over technical subtleties and endless options. I think 400 is plenty enough for most people.

However, maybe you should look at digital mixers from Tascam, Zoom or even Behringer?

OMG! This is on another level…

Of course, there is no objective need, only a subjective desire to find the gear I’ll be happy to use without looking back saying to myself “Oh, I should have chosen this solution”.

Yes, the Tascam 16 is one of the options I’m considering…

1 Like

As if it won’t happen anyways :grin:

1 Like

:rofl: your’re so right!

1 Like

18i20 and MOTU Ultralite Mk5. I wanted the latter for portability, and it connects to the 18i20 via ADAT.

1 Like

When looking for extra channel for your interface do yourself a favor and avoid Behringer ADA8200: it is really bad, you can definitely choose something better.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. That’s strange, I’ve red lots of comments saying they were good (preamps and converters).

My opinion is that ADA8200 is not good at all: low quality preamps, channel bleeding, clock malfunctions. I owned it for a while and then got rid of it, you know, typical Behr. quality. if you are targeting adat expanders, my advice is to choose something else: set yourself a budget to understand what is available at that price tag