Any way to quieten the button presses?

I love mech switches, but im really astonished at how bad the ones feel in the digitakt. They make a ringing noise when you hit them, and vibrate slightly when there is bass in the air. Has anyone opened it up to see if you can damp them with O rings? Thought Id ask first before I go inside.

they are just normal mechanical buttons, so you should be able to use some kind of o-ring to quiet them. not sure if there are different sizes and thicknesses and what would work though. I opened mine up and added in dimming film over the leds (before the latest update that added in the dim feature), and it was pretty simple. the process would be similarly easy to put in o-rings. let us know if it works.

1 Like

what works for me is to turn up the volume :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Dont hit them so hard. Also works well.

9 Likes

Room treatment

1 Like

This is an issue with some YT videos I have watched. Someone will be tweaking, say, a hat or rim sound. ā€œThis sounds better,ā€ when all I have heard is button presses because they havenā€™t cut their mike while previewing a sound. But this is not a DT issue. The YT makers are using headphones. Perhaps you could?

2 Likes

ā€¦one of the unique points on swedish gear is their klak klak zack zack worklfowā€¦

i personally love exactly THIS, when working with themā€¦

truu, the newer devices with all their square buttons do more klaksā€¦
i can imagine, this could lead to annoyanceā€¦

and uā€™d be surprised how ā€œsimpleā€ they look from the inside, the digis in particualr, from a plain mechanical point of viewā€¦

but thereā€™s no official hack how to treat them, when it comes to taming their basic mechanical behaviour that causes their famous klak klakā€¦

itā€™s ā€œbetterā€ on the tone though, since the squares are smallerā€¦
and iā€™d also prefer elektron would return to rounded buttons again, some dayā€¦

2 Likes

The clicky buttons have really grown on me after a whileā€¦ When doing repetitive copy/paste or other tedious things I tune into a rhythm of the button combos and it becomes very intuitive and hypnotic

4 Likes

Sample them and integrate in your songs! :content:
Mines are well tuned, I can do a fifth!
@DaveMech did it.

10 Likes

The clicks help me with copy/paste etc as well, ā€˜intuitive and hypnoticā€™ is the perfect description!

2 Likes

Thx, I had forgotten this one. Awesome.

2 Likes

I tweak the buttons in a groove with the music Iā€™m making. The button noises are in time with the music and it helps me flow smoother.

1 Like

The most common keyboard switches have a plus-shaped stem in the middle, but the Digitakt has something else. None of the switches on this list matches the Digitaktā€™s switches: https://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/switches

Hereā€™s what the Digitakt switches look like:

Iā€™ve tried putting o-rings for mx style switches on the Digitaktā€™s keycaps, but they donā€™t fit, sadly.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll make a test in bed with my wife, pressing buttons carefully. Not sure she will bear it even with ear protection.

It was impossible with previous led brightness, and I donā€™t think the new low mode will suffice! :content:

4 Likes

They are certainly ā€œindustrialā€ switches not specific to mechanical keyboards and given their appearance, not sure that it is possible to put o-rings.
I canā€™t find them on Kailhā€™s website, finding their reference would already be a big step towards eventual silence.
If it is certainly a little painful for those around you, even used to the mechanical keyboard (!!!), feedback from Elektron machines via buttons contributes to the pleasure of their use. Play at night.

2 Likes

awww dang. thanks for that update.

1 Like

Perhaps Elektron would move to a Models style rubber button design do address this, though Iā€™m not really a fan of them. I get the sense that they still wanted to emulate the mechanical button press with the sequencer buttons (def not the pads which I really cant stand). Not sure it would translate well to larger keys, not even sure it has with the smaller ones to begin with. I enjoy the clacks personally. Something very satisfying about it.

If your trying to quiet them in just technique, what I do when I want to play more quietly is just keep my fingers on the key and press them while keeping your finger on the key as you release it, instead of just tapping on the keys and pulling your finger off of it. It takes getting used to, to do it but if your not otherwise generally annoyed by the sound it works.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

any way to make them louder

3 Likes