Anybody not like the pads on the new Analog Rytm?

Does anybody not like the pads on the new Analog Rytm? I’m still not sure how I feel about them. I’ve never been into the “MPC” style programming and “live” programming. I always do step-programming. So I’m not sure what I would ever use the pads for if I got an Analog Rytm. They kind of look odd on the machine, too, I think.

I’m curious to see what the pads feel like, but very excited about them. I started making electronic music with an MPC, and usually prefer entering parts live. Even on the Octatrack I enter a lot of parts by playing slices/trigs live, then edit them with parameter locks afterward.

I also want to explore doing some finger drumming as part of a live set.

Haven’t touched a Rytm yet, so no idea about the feel. However, I like the fact that they are there. Gives you an alternative way to make beats, instead of just step sequencing them.

I love those pads.

I beat on my beats live and from the heart/soul, I started on an MDuw MkII and then on the MNM SFX6 keyboard keys and I love to use Elektron’s awesome step sequencing for secondary editing adjustments. I gather there are people who “pencil in”/step-sequence only and they are happy with their music, but I’m really looking forward to the pads for my love of finger drumming as after many years on Elektron machines I am over the clicking sounds of the plastic chiclets…

I do wish they would make/sell an optional Rytm with pads on the right side though. Would be great. I don’t have one yet but it does kind of make my brain hurt to imagine finger drumming in the beats with my right hand forced to the left side. The Octatrack made this right side finger drumming possible since the tracks are played from the middle of the step keys and over to the right, or chromatically all the way down the steps. I loved the Octatrack and will buy another when I could afford it as it is an awesome sampler and fader Fx box, but I sold it to fund a RYTM because at the moment I could only afford one and I love to try their knew stuff. I just wish they could update machines as the Octatrack would be next level with pads… I really hope that its going to be an awesome combo to be able to play the Octatrack from the RYTM and use those pads for a double drum machine of doom… Boom !

I also hope the Analog Rytm is going to be able to play samples on all 8 tracks without the analog voices sounding. It would really break my heart if they choked it with limitations just to keep it from competing with the Octatrack. But as far as I can tell from the AR ads, it seems to be everything I dreamt it would be, and the only thing it can’t do is sample externally which I am fine with, as they put all that effort into the Octatrack.

Bring on the Analog RYTM and let it be all powerful

they actually look bigger than the sp-404 pads and those are playable for sure. One thing that escapes me is why 12? i mean 16 is the number. it would be great as a sample chain player on the OT. You could trigger the MD as well and of course they’ve mentioned it’s completely possible; but only on twelve of sixteen pads. hmmm…

Good Point FIZZGIG , )

I understand some people might hate for Elektron to gain more info from it’s users as a test audience/user group before making a machine, but I think it would really benefit them to escape missing out on certain design options

I prefer using the step sequencer for drums, but the pads are great in the mute function, and a quick way to select patterns for editing. AR is a killer drum machine, and was super easy to pick up as an elektron newb.

It seems like the performance and scene modes would make having the pads there awesome even if you never triggered a sound with them.

There are 12 because there are 12 available sounds/tracks!

They’re not nearly as tactile as the ones on my MPC(1000) but I’ve never been a finger drummer, and anyway they’re invaluable for mute/solo, scene changes and performance mode. The multi-coloured lighting is a nice touch in a live situation so you know what’s going on.

The Analog Rytm would be a far lesser machine without them, for sure.

Apparently they do loosen up a bit with use, if you’re into recording sequences with them.

I like the pads, they are a bit stiff. Have a nice feel to them though, remind me most of the Push Pads but nowhere near as nice. Push pads are maybe my fav though. I found them to be pretty unresponsive and not very dynamic at first. Like they needed a way to adjust the sensitivity (they still should add this). The magic is turning up the compressor and and distortion, and I use overdrive on almost every track. Once you get the gain up there, they feel really good and dynamic.