Anyone else find the track labels on the digitakt a bit annoying?

Why have track labels at all for such a flexible machine?

Seems odd and unnecessary to have track labels like Tom, Cowbell, Closed hat, Open hat when these tracks can be anything.

Does this bother anyone else?

6 Likes

There’s a principle in UX design I forget the name of but one metric for “is it a good design” is “how will a totally new user’s experience be?” I think the intention was to help people who have never programmed a drum machine before and just want to make beats.

10 Likes

Definitely bothers me, I try to think of them as nicknames.

4 Likes

I believe Elektron said (I’m paraphrasing, as
it’s probably in the introducing Digitakt thread buried somewhere) that it’s a bit of an homage to the drum machines of yore. So just nostalgia, really.

2 Likes

I think it’s good, I do use them as prescribed fairly often. Also it’s pretty easy to describe your drums sounds using those conventional labels even if they’re synthetic or samples etc if you just think of the labels as transient or tone descriptions.

3 Likes

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell (labels on my DT).

5 Likes

There has got to be some funny chemical solution or whatever to remove the letters, but keep the black coating completely untouched.

1 Like

14 Likes

No

9 Likes

That could be solved by the way Teenage Engineering do it with the OP-Z; add a couple of paper cutouts that can be placed over the device the first time you’re using it.

I don’t read while making music :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I actually thinkthere hella cool. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Reminds me of drum machine classics like the Boss DR-202, Alesis SR-16 etc.

I think it’s great to make things accesible.

But as mentioned, this could be done with a simple cardboard cutout, or a picture. Having them there permanently is helpful for a newcomer for a few minutes at most.

And by comparison, the labels aren’t on anything else. Including the entry level model: samples, model: cycles, or the digitone, or the syntakt.

I think I found the messages you are talking about:

5 Likes

(As I’m a new member I can only post one image per post)

3 Likes

Doesn’t bother me at all. It might have done for a few seconds when I first got it but in that case I’ve forgotten.

I always feel guilty when loading a chord sample into the “snare” pad

You can remove the text easily with acetone. I learned this accidentally when I had to remove a drop of super glue.

2 Likes

Really interesting! Any chance you could share a picture of this accident? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I forgot about them but i don’t like it. Makes me feel like Elektron thinks i need help with my drums. No thanks.

1 Like