Anyone here move from the US to EU?

That’s absolutely true, but at the same time perfectly valid. Especially when it comes to protecting your child. This conversation began because you criticized someone for pointing out how it is much likelier in the US than anywhere else in the world that your child will die a horrific death. Or, what your numbers left out, be involved in such a
traumatizing event. I think it is is perfectly valid for people to weigh whether to move and enroll their students at a US school - where this is likelier to happen and no sign of anything being done about it, let alone increasing - against not, where it is far less likely. Numbers don’t have shit on the power of wanting to ensure your children live a good life.

2 Likes

Hey guys and gals I don’t want this to be about shootings, it has really been a helpful thread for me and this could derail it.

8 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

you have Fyzion to thank for that. that’s who mentioned shootings first.

then i ran with it. so i have some blame too.

1 Like

I live in a small town near Rotterdam, Netherlands and I barely use public transport. Like once in a year. Most of my traveling is by car. At the moment there are so many vacancies that finding a job wouldn’t be an issue either.
One of the main challenges is to find a place to live nowadays. There aren’t enough houses for anything seeking. Building new is a problem due to the need for employees , materials and the restrictions on projects to decrease emissions. In the €400k + segment it wouldn’t be a big deal to find a property though.

2 Likes

That’s a gross generalization. Maybe your attitude and preaching your imported “values” got people’s backs up? Adieu!

4 Likes

I left big cities and went back to my small Dutch student city Nijmegen to grow up my children. Everywhere in the world, more people and more financial turnover, the less contact there is and the more unsocial behavior against ‘outgroup’ appears.

I think this makes Paris and London comparable to New York.

Nijmegen is in the other side of the country from amsterdam, but only 1h45min by train from amsterdam. Still feels like a suburb to me. In Berlin and Barcelona I travelled more

2 Likes

Its funny how perspectives can vary: I grew up and lived in the ‘big city’ of Amsterdam all my life. To me it feels like there’s way more togetherness and tollerance in the cities, while I always feel like I don’t belong when I’m in smaller cities or villages, and people there can spot me for an outsider.

I think I also understand your point though, cities can be more anonimous and less personal/warm I guess.

2 Likes

Hah, I am from the city but moved to a really small rural town about 7 years ago. I was in line at the grocery store the other day and there were two people in front of me and I was thinking to myself, I wonder where they are from. Then they get to the cashier and first thing she says is “You all ain’t from around here huh.” And I realized that now I can tell when people from the city show up in town too lol.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind moving into the woods and just forget about it all, and I’m in Sweden, on the west coast.

I guess I’m just getting old.

4 Likes

So in other words you want to move to Norrland…

3 Likes

I’m considering it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was disappointed to find that Thomann does not list shipping times to French Polynesia (Tahiti). Seems a bit tricky to get permanent residency though, so maybe not a big deal.

1 Like

Sorry, but this is straight BS. How would you explain racist terrorism and assasinations in Germany like Hanau? Or the several extremist right wing tendencies in police etc.? One must be waaayy too privileged to make such twisted comments…Europe has a lot of racism, and it is a threat to everyone that is not white.

4 Likes

Happy to read this, since I am in Canada waiting for a visa to emigrate to Portugal (I spent 2020-2022 in the US). I wasn’t going to post in this thread as I hadn’t moved yet and it would just be speculation on my part, but I did want to mention that Lisbon and Porto have a housing crisis right now. Prices are high (comparable to Barcelona) and availability is scarce. It took my partner two months to find an expensive apartment (rental, we will purchase later, I hope).

2 Likes

Hmm. My personal experiences as a white American living in Finland vs those of my non-white Finnish and American friends would beg to wildly differ. As would very large amounts of documentary evidence, plenty of it produced by the EU and the EC itself. Which isn’t to say that Xenophobia isn’t a thing — it absolutely is. However, racism is a whole thing too. It’s less unipolar than US racism and more varied from country to country, and it results in somewhat fewer deaths in most places, but it’s very real.

Moving to Europe if you aren’t white is complicated — it can still be a net win, but you lose some of the ability to read the oppression, which can be a bit risky. Or so I’m told.

2 Likes

Honestly? It is a thing, but on average it’s been well worth it for me. Now, I’m white, have money that doesn’t depend on me working locally, and moved in with a partner and a social network already in place to a country where good English is basically universal. Learning a language sucks — I’m just finally working on Finnish and it’s slow going — but it’s not impossible, just a lot of time. If you’re going to move somewhere, I’d try to spend a chunk of time there first with the goal of meeting people there first, so you’re not moving in cold. The xenophobia isn’t evenly distributed in society, and like anywhere if you have shared interests, plenty of folks are definitely friendly.

2 Likes

By the way, I would also like to add that any European bigger city is obviously less xenophobic and very multicultural. But on a country level, that’s usually a depressing topic.

2 Likes

Learning Finnish is the learning one of the most difficult languages.

Sadly.