Anyone Want to Give Up YouTube for 40 Days?

Not Catholic, but find it healthy to give things up now and then (e.g., NGNY) and thought jumping on the Lent bandwagon would be a good opportunity to take a break from YouTube, my personal music productivity nemesis. Anyone else interested?

Participants (Start Feb 22 -> End April 09):

1. joeykaram

2. PofM

3. Claid

4. Habit_Reform

5. JamesM

6. circuitghost

7. Noisebuddy

8. Jedilicious

9. yokermoon

10 Likes

How about give it up for purposes of entertainment, and allow yourself to use it for learning. That would require more self restraint than the masochistic approach you’re suggesting and would keep 40 days worth of simple questions from popping up here :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I mostly only use it for learning anyway, as I have better sources of music and TV/movies. But the non-stop interruptions by adverts are getting out of hand so count me in. Every time they interrupt a video with an unskippable ad I think about quitting youtube.

7 Likes

at least it’s not 60 seconds of unskippable ad chatter like soundcloud, I hadn’t been there in a while and yesterday I found this out… if I still had a soundcloud account, today I would no longer have a soundcloud account.

But I watch bad gear, I admit it. Is that educational? if there were no meme’s maybe. but I watch it a second time to read the meme’s, guilty. Maybe I should quit the second viewing of bad gear for 40 days, that may be my punishment for using youtube as a source of music meme entertainment.

2 Likes

I’m up for this. I can’t go a day without relying on YouTube to fill silence.

4 Likes

I’m already on the NGNY plus I quit smoking grass three weeks ago and plan to keep on that until at least the beginning of April so you’ll have to count me out.

12 Likes

Not until I finish watching 3Body :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just signed up for a three month trial of YouTube premium. Lol

8 Likes

I didn’t exactly “solve” that, but nabbing Premium with VPN helped me choose a price that was worth skipping the agony.

mein Gott!

I could probably use a break but ehhhh the world and all that

3 Likes

TBH, it’s the tutorials that are destroying my music productivity

7 Likes

In reality, generally speaking when I think about how every synth in my price range is usually the same cost as getting back into my old hobby it’s kept me pretty sober for a while now. stupid reality.

2 Likes

I recently had a cervical MRI and it was revealed that in addition the neck problems I went in for, I have an impacted sinus. I don’t sniff thangs so I’m cutting out the only thing I do that seems like it could negatively impact said impactedness. I see the ENT on 3/30. So I suppose it’s likely I’ll be off through April because I want this shit well and truly gone before I get sparky again.

Anyways I’ve got nothing to say about youtube so I will make my exit.

8 Likes

How about giving up DAWs for 40 days?

3 Likes

sure I can give up dos for 40 days…

3 Likes

I get that. I kind of hate music production tutorials.

Sometimes I play this game with myself, where I watch a tutorial and do it for the wrong platform and intentionally do it all wrong. It has sparked some cool ideas actually. Maybe that’s a good idea for a YouTube channel: “I didn’t follow the tutorial” lol

4 Likes

the DNRTFM experience live stream.

The trial completely hooked me. Using YouTube without ads makes it a completely different experience. I get an absolutely absurd amount of value out of YouTube already so I’m happy to pay the subscription.

On topic: it’s just too useful to me to do something like this, but I respect that there are people here willing to give us a go!

5 Likes

We’re giving YT premium a shot at my place because my girlfriend uses it for Pilates sessions, and ads really mess up the flow for something like that. I’m still checking whether it’s worth it for me, but so far I think it’s really nice. I was so tired of Sweetwater ads! :laughing:

I don’t think I use YouTube enough to merit needing a 40 day break, but yeah, I think it’s great to take breaks from things we do in excess. Things like this and NGNY are admirable.

Personally what I should probably do is limit time on my phone – it’s a ridiculous addiction. Smartphones (and the internet in general) are so useful for satisfying all my immediate curiosities, but I use it too much. I don’t know how realistic it is to take a real phone break, so I’m trying to read more books these days to replace some of the time reading on my phone.

5 Likes

I pull too many samples from YouTube, or I would be down.

1 Like

it’s incredible how you go to a website or order from it once and you literally have to clear your cookies to get rid of their youtube promos.

I looked at a usb charger cable that happened to belong to a blender… went to the website once because the cable linked to it. Saw blender ads for the next 6 months.

I now own 9 blenders. thanks youtube.

3 Likes