Aphex Twin recommendations?

he‘s really great at the complex idm stuff obviously but my favorites are saw 85-92, analord and some of the soundcloud stuff. The most beautiful stuff from him are the „imperfect“, live jam like recordings imo. So playful and so much soul

3 Likes

I’ve got nothing more to add except, an apology for double posting shouldn’t be necessary in a thread this long.

2 Likes

found this recently. Pretty cool. Some other covers on the channel

2 Likes

I don’t think this is actually Aphex though, but that track has been kicking around with the same name for 20 years at least!

You’d probably like caustic window - from what I’ve seen of your stuff…

Eh this is the first one I found - I think there might be some better examples, but it’s more heavy on distortion.

Edit:

This one fits the trash can brief

4 Likes

Why don’t you think it is aphex twin?

That is absolutely not Aphex Twin. (Anyone remember Techno Tetris?)

1 Like

it’s definitely not an aphex production, i’m not going to get involved with justifying why i think so. it just isn’t.

1 Like

I know it’s not Aphex Twin, cos my mum made it.

2 Likes

That was Andrew Lloyd Webber

Whoa the new Adam Curtis is crazy

Doesn’t sound like anything else he’s done, at all. Aphex has a distinct vibe across all the various kinds of music he’s done and this isn’t it. Also he’s never done collaborations with acoustic musicians (afaik), and the breaks are far too straightforward.

Been listening to Analord a lot lately - somehow I just completely skipped over these for over a decade. That was a mistake. Syro is my favorite, but this might be a close second.

2 Likes

Yeah, he even apparently learned to play the violin for Girl/Boy song. But then it’s AFX, so who the fuck knows, it’s probably bollocks, he probably got his dog to do it or something.

3 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

Not about justify, just more out of interest.
To be honest, I don’t know, I don’t care.

1 Like

Analord is the gift that keeps on giving.

The mini live set at Printworks was ace

And that was also where you could get the record with Soundlab20 on it (managed to nab one :smiley:)

Can’t wait for Field Day. Really hoping he brings the full rig with him again.

3 Likes

I’m so jealous. If he ever plays another NYC or LA show I’d love to see him.

1 Like

Though apparently he was a bit unimpressed by Philip Glass. He’s done this too.

I think it’s like when people say he doesn’t sample. He’s been making music for decades, he’s probably done everything!

4 Likes
5 Likes