AR MK2 wavetable player - analog?

Is there a “mathematically tangible” analog vs digital difference between the output of AR2’s sampler playing single wavecycles using its analog circuitry but digital source and A4’s purely analog oscillators?

It appears to go without sayign for users who could compare that a4 has superior sonic powers over Rytm (let’s say more refined). If all the modulation and processing is done by similar modules (ADSR, LFO, effects), the devil must be in a4’s oscillators?
Not that it matters for music, but out of curiosity :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I rephrase, what is Four synth’s secret weapon compared to Rytm’s?
The most obvious one is the sound generated is tunable across the scale without degradation.

Anything else?
If some interesting oscillator were resampled into Rytm and used as a wavetable, what further synthesis advantages down the pathway?

Couple things: AR does have analog oscillators available. (Look up dual VCO). And so far I have found making/using wavetables as oscillators in AR to be pretty fiddle.

Second, A4 has, I think, many many non-secret weapons that allow for many varied kinds of synthesis over AR. (AR has other strengths). It definitely isn’t just that A4 has some sort of secret sauce core oscillator sound- more it has incredible flexibility and control over the oscillators and filters and how they interact.

2 Likes

The A4 has more Oscs to choose from and that can be mixed in more detail, has more filters, envelope shapes, more modulation destinations and sources. I honestly can’t see how you’re trying to bring this down to a single “secret weapon” :upside_down_face:

PS even when thinking about it in a more general way of the question of comparing oscillators to wave tables - you’d want more modulation if you’d want to really get wavetables to shine no?

1 Like

Yes, the oscillators are there, with functionality of each narrowed down to specific tasks per machine. That is a limitation, clearly, as with Model Cycles, so there is no comparison to A4’s whole continuum per each parameter, although may make drum sounds more accessible.

What I was referring to was the single cycle playback on AR against the full fledged synthesis on A4.
So while there is nothing about the circuitry iself, A4 has much more animate both generation and modulation, limited to the the available set of waveforms.
Thanks.