Are platform like Loopcloud disillusioning?

So cute :goat:

1 Like

This got me thinking about the SlengTeng riddim, and dance hall riddim culture in general.

A casio preset, basically the foundation for a subset of 100s of dancehall tracks

it’s like the amen break of reggae

4 Likes

Anything easy isn’t rewarding.

1 Like

You had those illusions/delusions. And now you don’t.

So yes, your exposure to that platform was disillusioning. But that is actually good. You aren’t as deluded anymore. It has been a rigged game forever.

Making music should be for your own edification first and foremost.

The idea of a musician using a pre made sample pack is disillusioning, yes. Why bother. Go play videogames instead. If your goal as an artist isn’t to make something completely unique and new and incredible that hasn’t been done before, then maybe you aren’t an artist

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

a meaningful human experience between a human creator (maker,musician,dj,remixer…) and a human enjoying the creation, that can’t ever be taken away.

5 Likes

1 Like

When I started making music on computers (early 90th) I had a sampler for my Amiga 500 and had more disks with samples than I had disks with games. I had no synthesizers (couldn’t afford one). Then the marked was flooded with Sample-CD-Roms. You should watch some videos explaining the start of what is known as DnB and Jungle or early Home-Produced Techno. “All they did” was taking samples, load them into their tool of choice and voila, there is a song 100% based on publicly available Samples. You can hear the same sounds over many years, first few used the Sample Pack (or sampled themselves) next one sampled their music and cut out the sample…
Looking through endless numbers of LPs in endless numbers of shops is something produces of some genres are doing for ages.

With platforms like loop cloud it’s just a more accessible way to get the samples. The funny thing is: a lot of the “exclusive produces loops” (mostly in the drums and percussions sector) are using samples themselves, and most of those loops can be easily reproduces in the DAW of you choice. The only reason, why I use loops (very rarely) is that I want some percussion in the high frequencies, that you dont actively hear, but its obvious when they are gone, just because it is easy faster to select a loop, pitch it up or down, filter the ton out of it, put FX on top and its done, but this isn’t the recipe for a successful song.
With 95% of the reproduced loops out there (that even come shipped with a lot of modern hardware) I asked myself, who needs them? Why use an uninspired bass line when you can recreate that Square-Bass yourself in any free plugin and click in the notes yourself?

1 Like

…nailed it…

That’s one possible way to approach art but it’s absolutely not the only one. The pursuit of meaning, aesthetic beauty, and many other things are valid. Every love song is the same and yet unique. The pursuit of novelty for its own sake is an easy trap to get into (I know I’ve certainly been in that mind frame) but ultimately art is made to be experienced and usually enjoyed (in the broadest sense). Very few artists truly innovate, and that’s absolutely fine.
Assuming your idea of what art is to be the only one is both dangerous to art and to your own creativity.

1 Like

If you’re talking about easy end of life solutions…canned death.

Vertical integration?

The companies making the AI will get microtransactions but are working to replace human-generated tracks in “muzak” performance, commercials, television, movies, radio… other roles where placement and licensing gets costly.

Loop CDs and sound albums have existed for a long time, these services have just modernized that.

It’s really eye-opening to see how so much of the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time soundtrack came from a sound album.

1 Like

What has helped me ignore all this stuff and not be worried by loopcloud or AI or whatever is just having an idea of my purpose when making music. Like, AI can talk, but does that mean I don’t need to talk any more? It’s not me talking, I still have things I want to say. You have to have a purpose to making your music besides just “make generic pop hits” or “get famous” or whatever. Else what is the point? I rather dig holes than be forced to make someone else’s music no matter how many other people like it. And how I make it doesn’t matter (sampling the entire song off an omnichord or meticulously crafting every microsecond of sound) as long as I am enjoying the process and satisfying my creativity. This is one of the reasons I love making concept albums, it focuses my purpose for the entire album, both creatively and technically.

4 Likes

Before I could afford Komplete. I was buying loopmasters libraries when I had money. Those libraries I bought in the early 2000s still hold up to this day. I practiced playing drums and keys to my favorite producers construction kits. We’re they cookie cutter songs in the beginning ? Yes, but I started getting adventurous with my playing and song writing. Back then the libraries were much more expensive. Now you are getting good loops for pennies on the dollar.

2 Likes

The point to the current shovel-selling is to automate persons out of our jobs and increase disparity under the guise of “productivity”, less so us using AI as tools which it does fine.

I’ve been asking the latest Davinci a lot of theory questions, the results are generally stupid and useless but it’s been a good childlike position where my more methodical thinking approach can get answers to why people do certain things, how to define/categorize certain tropes in art, and receive occasional useful responses.

I mean I also use “AI” tools in the context of upsampling video and in whatever photoshop tools.

Haven’t yet gotten to the code analysis and architecture suggestions (which I hear are good!) but my god am I not exposing any repositories to their crawler.

Stumbled upon this - tracklib article, so that’s ok then :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Guy on Loops: