Arturia Dist Coldfire

Has anybody given it a try?
Has anybody compared it to Analog Heat?

I dig it. Has lots of options to knarl things up. However I can’t really make any comparisons to my Heat Mk2. I’m not technically or audiotistically gifted enough for that. However, as is the case with lots of VST fx options, it provides a lot more options than the Heat in terms of mangaling and crushing sounds.
I will say that it sounds pretty convincing. The dual destortion engines can allow for some complete annihilation, or subtle warmth. All 11 of the distortion types are characterful enough to not be redundant. The processing options is well thought out, and the crossfade ability is another layer of dry/wet control. Yeah it’s pretty cool. Not sure if I like it more than Ohmicide, but I think that’s just down to me having used Ohmnicide so much that it’s obtained a bit of legendary status.
I will say that I like it more as well as find it to offer much more than Heavylocity’s Fury, although Fury sounds really good itself.

Alright after I posted the above I went and messed around with the two. The Heat just has that certain thing. I guess you can call it presence or character. While the Coldfire isn’t a slouch, it sounds a bit more “clean”. With the Heat you notice a bit more color and earthly tones. Ah shit, now it sounds like I’m compairing wines.

8 Likes

It made me buy the whole FX collection 3 for a really good price. But I have used their Culture Vulture emulation more. That plugin is truly amazing and I will compare it to my Heat.

1 Like

I did as Arturia sent it to me in advance ! It’s very fun and powerfull and sound very good, it’s a bit CPU hungry tho.
Here is a video I did about it:

1 Like

Is cold fire even in FX Collection 3? I’m not seeing it

1 Like

It was a launch sale where you could buy Dist Coldfire + FX Collection 3.

1 Like

Dist Coldfire seems good to me, it’s as deep as a distortion plug-in can get.

Comparing it to the Analog Heat is tough though. In theory, I’m sure Dist Coldfire can do what the AH does, and go way beyond it… but it hasn’t got the hands-on real world capability of the AH.

To give a synth analogy, it’s like comparing a (hardware) Prophet 5 to Arturia’s Pigments… Pigments can do ANYTHING a P5 can, and a lot more, but the experience and interaction is completely different (I’ll leave the difference in sound factor alone).

1 Like

I downloaded the demo of Coldfire today funnily enough. Wanted to compare it to Trash 2.

Coldfire is absolutely awesome, love the modulation options and blending between the dual distortion engines. The visualiser is trippy but actually pretty clever. Whoever is behind Arturia’s recent interfaces deserves a medal, they’re really quite captivating and logical.

I think I prefer Coldfire to Trash 2, it sounds less ‘rough’ in a good way. Though it’s not quite as deep as Trash 2 in terms of sheer variety of options (at least on the brief go I had on it) I think it’s going to be mine very soon.

Bravo Arturia!

2 Likes

I may add that the modulation section of the plug is VERY crazy !

1 Like

I really like Coldfire. Anything that gets close to all the possibilities in a hardware box?

Probably only the Analog Heat come close of the same idea.

1 Like

Does it have to be analog?

If not then something like the Boss OD-200 has lots of options.

The Source Audio Multiwave also had a bunch of weird algorithms, but it’s discontinued

EDIT: Seems they do the Ultrawave now

1 Like

Line 6 HX Effects does.