Arturia MicroFreak

I think open source is one thing. Likeness rights is the issue here. Plastering the mutable logo everywhere when they didn’t have anything to do with it is different from using their code.

Didn’t korg put their code in a synth? I didn’t see the logo anzwhere there…

1 Like

Ohhhhh 3rd party. Different.

Sounds like it was a third party. I don’t know the full details of what happened within the making of the Arturia. If only I could get a link to where the screenshoted discussion took place to add more context to the whole thing

Yeah I’d like to follow that too. @Anfim?

1 Like

You beat me to it

1 Like

Thing is, Arturia had zero to gain by making it so ambiguous. I wouldn’t have been any less in to the synth at all if they’d been clearer. Surely they knew that? Maybe just a really really shitty PR/marketing team that were so naive and wrapped up in everything that they didn’t even notice they were screwing up?

Just doesn’t make sense. The algos are all that matters and would have sold the synth with or without people thinking MI were involved behind the scenes…Either way, intentional or naive it’s a Massive f**k up…

2 Likes

What a stupid move to pull off from Arturia

1 Like

Sorry, here’s a permalink to the comment that should allow you to see the full discussion with a couple of clicks. No new comments from mutable yet

Yeah it would be wise to wait and see what the deal is here…

2 Likes

Yeah just say in the deets they’re MI NOT PUT THEIR LOGO EVERYWHERE

13 Likes

It is a very important thing to me. (Like with the treatment of the Uyghurs does when i look at a Chinese made synth.) I always wait before ordering anything – so i’m staying tuned.

Edit : Ryan beat me this time

2 Likes

Thank you Ryan, that is good to fill in the perspective on this.

Been talk of mutable modules eventually coming to the upcoming Drambo app on iOS too possibly. I’m surprised it’s not inside more apps/hardware already tbh. But obviously not with this kind of skewed marketing…

Understandable. I’m happy Arturia is no longer using elicenser on their software products because it made the V Collection unusable for me for several years as their support kept saying it has already been activated (even though it was deactivated prior to wiping out my hard drive for reinstallation on the same computer). I put that negative experience aside when I bought the DrumBrute. The noise generators went out within weeks of purchase, after it was previously repaired for the same problem. However, MicroFreak still intrigues me.

Looks like Arturia hasn’t done anything in terms of product development that violates the license under which the Plaits source code is available.

However, the way they’re marketing this on their product pages makes it seem that actual collaboration has taken place, which clearly isn’t the case. Arturia should clean this up and apologise IMHO.

And I’m cancelling my pre-order. This is not the MI keyboard synth I was waiting for.

6 Likes

Not a good move. I’m looking at my Keystep sideways now. Disappointing.

1 Like

So yeah, the sin here is the lack of interaction between MI and Arturia. They didn’t necessarily screw MI over, but MI would have liked to have been more involved in the creation of this.

However bad that seems is in the eye of the beholder

1 Like

Not the best name, but this looks so sick and innovative for the price.

yeah I think I can hear my MI modules begging me not to make them live in my Rackbrute any more :wink: