Arturia MicroFreak

Just picked up a Microfreak to go with my Monologue and Digitakt… pretty excited from the limited time I had with it before work.

Liquid Limbs, volume 2 is out.

3 Likes

Are FX possible to add in a firmware update? I dunno what’s possible with updates in synths but since this is digital, if Arturia wanted to add say delay and reverb, is that something that’s even doable?

1 Like

No.

Dang

why should it not be possible? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Because the digital stuff happens before the sound goes through the filter. From the folter it’s all analogue so there’s nothing digital that can be added there.

Not the conventional thing but filters can go after effects.

1 Like

Happier to see them add more freakish (and conventional) oscs than FX myself … and an easy way to upload your own wavetables.

5 Likes

would love to see this as Eurorack module or as a separate keyboard controller with a bigger range of notes.

i think a lush big reverb would sound awesome before filtering

I use a polara fx stomp and it sounds great. Otherwise, I think the format is perfect for me, and it’s enough smaller for to get the space, and enough big for comfortable handle.

I’ve been using Microfreak with H9 Max this evening. H9 synced from MF.
Such a great pairing. The cycling envelope into a synced delay is lovely.

3 Likes

They call it Plaits. Seriously: the Microfreak is basically a keyboard version of an eurorack module.

12 Likes

I am seriously eyeing this MF.
I like the concept of those “little” synths a lot.

I was not very interested initially, but after seeing what’s possible and considering the many different types of synthesis you get, I got one used for a couple hundred dollars. It’s light weight, small footprint and solid build. The keys are really fun to play because you get independent envelopes per note based on finger surface.

Opening and closing envelopes independently with your playing is just such an interesting form of expression. Arps can be transferred to sequences with 4 lanes of automation per step, midi implementation is modest but effective using DT 8 assignable encoders. I’m satisfied with this item. It’s a unique sound source in a sea of vanilla subtractive synths. Add reverb and delay and it’s quite nice sounding.

3 Likes

Ugh I really want one! I see people removing the keyboard and I’m like, WHY? It barely takes up any extra space and seems really fun to play.

1 Like

I saw this option too and was like :neutral_face:

This is one of those synths I dont think I need, but for the price and what it brings I am still going to purchase when a good used one passes my way.

I recorded a short track with Microfreak sounds only.

16 Likes

Lovely. It’s such a good little synth!

1000 posts strong.
A lot of love for this little beauty!