Arturia MicroFreak

Cheers. Makes sense, midi on the Models is pretty basic.

Dedicated MIDI Tracks are often overlooked when it comes to choose a Device.

2 Likes

Yeah, didnā€™t realise it would be handy to have deeper midi-capabilities until I made the Freak a central part of my techno setup. Well, Iā€™ll figure something out for sure. Maybe my Blackbox is capable of doing it. (although thats also a fairly basic midi-machine)

I really like the immediacy of the Model-series, so I am not to bummed about the trade off.

This wasnā€™t intended to you personally. Itā€™s just that when I read Threads about What gear should I getā€¦, I rarely see this Feature in the discussion.

1 Like

Yeah, good point. I havenā€™t actually got a good ā€˜mothershipā€™ in my rig, Something for the wish list!

1 Like

Actually, I got it kind of working. The Models send program changes to the MF if you set the midi channel of the MF to 8 (auto channel on the M:S or M:C).

When the Samples changes from A1 (value 0) to A2 (value 1), the MF changes from preset 0 to preset 1, and so on, in sync. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Very happy with that, cause it gives me the option to use the first 96 presets of the MF to sync with the Models. Only hassle is moving the presets on the MF around to the correct spot.

I love the MF to death, but if I have to name one flaw itā€™s the horrible software that comes with it. No good way to curate presets into new collections and always terrified something goes wrong when doing backups cause everything is so wonky (on Mac)

1 Like

Ok, thatā€™s fair enough. Iā€™m glad that you came out with a solution and thanks for sharing it.

Did you know that pressing the Preset Encoder 3 times is resetting the Preset parameters to default (initialize Patch)?

1 Like

No, I didnā€™t. Thatā€™s handy knowledge!

Also figured out today that you can add a click when scrolling through presets, so that they donā€™t change right away, but only after you click the preset button.

1 Like
1 Like

So how does people like the microfreak now.

It seems great for me. Small footprint lots of sounds. It seems like it would be perfect with an octatrack.

Have you sold it? Why?

Iā€™m curious in peopleā€™s thoughts about it now that itā€™s been out for a year.

Been using it for nearly a year.
Would not sell it now although a Deepmind 12 and a MiniNova have joined the gang :slight_smile:
All it requires is a little FX to make it shine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I ended up giving it to my brother. It is cool but I found the bass to be a bit weak and found I wasnā€™t ever reaching for it after I got the Korg XD. It does represent very good value though.

1 Like

I returned mine.

Itā€™s a cool little synth, and good for the money if you can live with its quirks.

Reasons I returned mine here

On its own (with an outboard effect) it could work for some stuff for I guess (for me). But in a setup with more gear, I would have to force my self to use since there are so many other great synths I would pick over it.

1 Like

Thanks for the input everyone, it seems quiet polarizingā€¦

I think it depends on what you compare it to, and what other gear you have and possibly pair with it.

The keybed for sure is a love or hate kind of thing. :rofl:

the sequencer is one of its high points, for me.

1 Like

Really ? What do you like about it, compared to other sequencers ?

I liked the ARP, even though itā€™s quite limited, but never really warmed up to the sequencer.

The sequencer and arp is great, I use it as a controller for my Rytm and MC-202. Itā€™s basically a Keystep with memory for 500+ sequences.

The synth is cool with some fx but I prefer using Plaits in miRack and Spectrum on iOS.

1 Like

itā€™s very straight forward n hands on imo.
stick it in A set scale, then bang it in record and keep overdubbing new bits into the sequence mutating it over time.

I really like it.

2 Likes