Arturia MicroFreak

Noise Engineering additions sold me on this ugly thing. Just ordered one from Zzounds. I keep a very small amount of hardware so I’m hoping it lives up to the hype.

1 Like

Going totally offtopic - for those that like the look of that feature, the Audiolayer iOS app can also do it

The new NE Bass mode is so so good. I would recommend buying this synth just for that mode. Can’t believe how powerful and fun this synth is. Only thing I’d change is the name, the knobs and the color scheme. Fingers crossed for a larger Poly version someday.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I used to have a Microfreak on the original firmware and I loved the keyboard, super fun and expressive. Anyone on the fence should try it. It features the only modulation matrix in the world that is actually fun to dial in.

2 Likes

Anyone know the dimensions of the orange knobs’ encoder shafts? And approximate length? Thanks.

Might try asking this guy: Arturia MicroFreak - #1280 by J3RK

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like 6mm D-shafts.

Edit: Knobs with pointers might have their pointer’s orientation reversed by 180°.

These Davies 1900H clones may work:

1 Like

Hey, post a link for the knobs right here

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-Alcoswitch/PKG50B1-4/?qs=t1ghjHmyjcz6kWzJ0M2oOA%3D%3D

I’ve never been much into keyboard synths but I really like the MF keyboard and now I got used to programming pressure modulation pretty much with every patch and that add so much to it.

There are some engines that I never really use, but the new ones, the noise oscillator and the wave are my go to ones.

a patch playing with one of the new oscillators, with multiple keyboard modulations including Unison Spread… lots of fun!
Reverb and delay from Korg NTS-1 <3

11 Likes

well damn!

2 Likes

Far fetched request: Does anybody that transformed their Microfreak into a module wants to sell the touchplate keyboard?
I would like one for a DYI raspberry pi project.

2 Likes

It seems like everywhere I’ve read about the MicroFreak people rave about it.

Am I missing something? I just don’t like the tone of it at all and find it way too gimmicky.
Maybe I’m just basing it on it’s presets too much and need to strip it back?
I tend to work backwards from a preset that I get a vibe from… and the MF just fails for me big time on that approach.

Thoughts of other users?

2 Likes

The presets can be a bit much. I took out most of them (they can be restored, though the MCC software is annoying). There is a free preset pack by Oscillator Sink called Nostalgia and Reminiscence that has a better hit ratio. I think starting from scratch is probably a better way to appreciate the MF’s capabilities. It also needs a touch of reverb.

3 Likes

I’m the opposite - i remove all presets - and for me it’s an amazing immediate playground - constantly inspiring, the filter lacks a bit of character imho, but thankfully its engines don’t all need the filter

It’s not without its compromises, but for the money and the ease of use and its depth it’s pretty amazing - the new engines are great

for me it needs movement in a sound and there are lots of ways to get this - it’s very performable and it has its own mojo - more often than not it’s my goto for innocent synth fun - just take a power bank, lie back on teh couch and sound design - the presets get made then and they all speak to me (otherwise i wouldn’t have saved them) - i really rate it - but as we know everything is not for everybody - imho it’s not always that the issue is the latent potential of a bit of gear but teh expectations superimposed on what it should do rather than what it can so - and this can do a LOT - it’s super versatile with the voice modes

building from the ground up works for me - start with a new engine every time and see where you can go with it

12 Likes

maybe its just me but i sold mine 6 month ago becaus the sound quality is not good imo.
when it came out i was really hyped. the algorithms are great but the output is to thin and undetailed in higher frequency range.
sounds a bit like a mi plaits with 192 kbit/s mp3 rate imo - maybe the d/a converters are a bit low quality? dunno

1 Like

Similar to what I’ve found… I’ve been trying to use it alongside my Analog Four and Peak, and it’s just like a cardboard side-extension, no depth and really underwhelming/generic youtube synth sounds.

I’m planning to sell mine for this reason. Booting it up and having to scroll through all the presets to make my own patch just saps my creativity. Sending the audio into a Korg NTS-1 improved the sound quality but even with that, I don’t feel the urge to pick the Microfreak up as often as my other gear. And I don’t vibe with the keyboard at all. I get so many mistaken presses that mess up my sequences or arps that I started using it with a Keystep.

1 Like

Oh I was planing on getting one but seems like Arturia got greedy. Price Hike in germany almost 70€.
So I guess I am out then. Sad.