Arturia MicroFreak

I’m looking for a cheap friend for my MPC One. I was very interested by Model Cycles but since the last update of Akai the MPCs have notes probabilities, ratcheting in the sequencer and I bought the FM plug-in called OPx4. It makes the M:C less complementary.

I hesitate between the Microfreak and the Typhon. Not the same machines at all, I know, but they seems to be very special which is what I’m looking for. I don’t want to spend more.

The main idea is to sequence them directly with the MPC or to sample loops or to create MPC keygroups and use them in standalone.

I’m looking for a machine with a real added value compared to what is proposed in the MPC One.

What are your advices, feedbacks, experiences.

Thanks

Get a balanced cable and use proper midi cable with Microfreak.

Typhoon is also cool but that menu is not very good. It also has fx which is a plus.

Wait, really? MF needs a balanced cable?
I was so bummed out when i returned it due to it sounding “flat”. :frowning:

Just saw this here and apparently that’s true for the 1/4” (6.35mm) output.

I’ve only used the 3.5mm output anyways, which now I know makes sense since I’m using Bluebox (unbalanced inputs) for a mixer.

Still, good to know!

Personal opinion but I hated the sound and interface of the Typhon, so my vote goes to the MF, hands down.

2 Likes

wow i feel like a dummy for not trying 3.5 output. i just thought converters are bad :roll_eyes:

i might give it another chance if they roll out brightness controls.
it was unusable in non direct sunlight.

I wouldn’t worry so much… I don’t think it has the richest of sounds. I already had MI Plaits as a module and clones inside Beebo, so I felt comfortable with what to expect before buying.

I watched that Bad Gear YouTuber review of MF and they summed it for me too. It’s a fun instrument but I also think it takes some work to shape the sound in post. Nothing wrong with that either (and I’m sorry if its a MF lovefest, but that’s my take on it too).

Definitely worth trying again though. From reading around it seems it gives an extremely thin sound if using an unbalanced cable.

1 Like

Yeah, it sounds like :poop: without one.

Another wacky MF quirk.

1 Like

Opinions about MF are so different and extreme

2 Likes

Extreme is it…

:heart:

Because it’s a cheaply built plastic instrument with crazy possibilities way above it’s paygrade.

I always think MF pro could be a killer. Same engine, filters, modmatrix, but better outputs, more brain juice and better enclosure. Also polyphony instead of paraphony. And maybe some generic fx like delay and reverb. That would be bonkers.

3 Likes

This! However the missing FX introduced me the world of pedals.

It’s crazy (at least when l consider the costs) but I love my MF chain:
MF + Distortion + Chorus (here starts my stereo signal flow) + stereo Reverb + stereo Delay.
=> incredible sound options.

1 Like

My option is to use internal FX of the MPC. Not the best of the world but however they are all here and some are interesting.

Let’s pray for a MK2 then

I was ultimately disappointed in mine but it makes me happy that others still appreciate it. I hope the person I sold mine to is one such person.

2 Likes

isnt MF pro is just a polybrute. :hm:

1 Like

Many people seem to plug the MF in a Zoom MultiStomp MS-70CDR.

Could be a good option knowing that i have a guitar also and could use the Multostomp also.

1 Like

Nah, the Brute series and Freak aren’t really related. Going by convention we can probably expect a MiniFreak at some point, and maybe even PolyFreak/MatrixFreak eventually.

2 Likes

I finally decided to order this Zoom MultiStomp MS-70CDR first. It will spice up my guitar and my Tenori-on. And will open the door for a Microfreak order.

3 Likes

I am! It’s been a perfect companion for my Octatrack in particular - I really like patching some of the weirder modes with lots of modulation, like the vocal synth and stuff. Makes for some super strange sounds especially paired with a multistomp or the OT’s fx. MF+OT has killed my GAS for a monomachine, seems it can do everything that box can and more, and with the OT’s effects on top, it’s yielded results very similar to the MM.

2 Likes