Arturia MicroFreak

Still hesitating between Microfreak, Typhon or…. Minilogue XD, the new comer in my dithering. I get tired.

If I were you I would go for minilogue xd.
It has more possibilities,fx block ,few analog osc,digital osc etc.yes there is no mod matrix or aftertouch ,but musically it’s more unconstrained in the process.

1 Like

i was in the same boath till yesterday, I ended up buing a Minilogue XD because it’s more capable, but maybe next i will get a microfreak :laughing:

Sonically I found the XD demos found on internet much more convincing and deeper. Some of Microfreak are also interesting but it’s rare.

But some of the feature of MF are unique such as these Spice/Dice and this impressive modulation matrix. The price is not the same also and I like the idea to limit the budget put in gears.

The typhon seems crazy but I’m sure to be happy with a monophonic in long term.

Not easy.

I haven’t touched my Minilogue xd since getting a Microfreak. As another perspective.

1 Like

When people don’t already have a nice sounding analog or analog modeling synth, I believe they become disappointed in what the MicroFreak produces because they want it to cover that base.

For me the MicroFreak excels at providing a certain thing, which is a more narrow and focused sound in the mix. By not being big, rich, and deep like a Moog-type sound, it doesn’t compete with the analog synths I will use for basses or leads.

This in no way means you can’t get a good bass or lead, I do all the time with the Freak, it’s just different

1 Like

There is no accounting for tastes.
It was my personal experience and I sold my microfreak.And it depends on your needs and goals .

I finally went in the list for a Micromonsta 2. With the Microfreak it will maybe cover all my needs for the price of a Minilogue XD.
Maybe… I need to think about it again.

2 Likes

You may be reading too much into what I wrote.

Did somebody try to warm up the Microfreak though the Typhon ?

I warm it with a Shallow Water pedal.

2 Likes

Honestly, a little analog chorus does wonders, even a cheap Behringer Ultra Chorus helps round the sound out a bit. Or a bit of analog EQ though a mix desk.

It’s not fuzzy, wooly, hot-chocolate-beside-a-roaring-fireplace levels of warmth, but it helps remove a tad of the frosty digital-ness.

Borrowed a Black Star HT-dual drive which has a tube amp in it from a guitarist buddy for a while, that also added some crunchy warmth but you’ll lose a bit of tone articulation/accuracy.

4 Likes

If I ever get a MicroFreak, I have an Analog Drive waiting to apply seasonal greetings to its output.

3 Likes

Seconding this. I send my MF through a Boss CE-2w and it does wonders for the MF’s sound. It’s more or less an always-on pedal at this point.

3 Likes

It looks like we will be getting some Microfreak patches from Jexus!

Can’t wait to see what he does with it

3 Likes

Just got a mint condition second hand last week. It is still firmware 1 and it is such a fun and amazing sounding little synth. Pair it with a Monotribe and instant fun, no need for even midi!

Can’t wait to update and get the juicy Noise Engineering oscilators.

Everyone should try one, it is a win win situation.

How are you connecting it to your monotribe? I have both and this sounds like fun!

1 Like

Sync out to sync in :wink:

There are some videos there to have a look if you interested.

fraktallatkarf shared a post on Instagram: "Monotribe is a pretty interesting machine that has a fabulous filter, an analogue drum part with a lot of bite, and s superfast lfo. The sequencer is also simple and easy to grasp.

Microfreak is an amazing...

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

Hey, does anybody know if there’s any way to start the MF’s Sequencer in synch with an already playing Digitone?