Arturia MicroFreak

So Hollow Knight : Silk Song is delayed, and the V5 of this beautiful synth will be available around …the 30th it seems.
So much wait, but the sole snappy envelope mode makes me VERY happy…

Luckily in the meantime, i have all of my actual gear to master, the Microfreak v4 included, being a very recent owner.

What an update…

3 Likes

This update is hilarious for me because i once randomly asked on a Reddit thread (right after the vocoder update) if a sample engine was possible on the microfreak. No one responded and I felt like it was kind of a dumb comment. Not anymore!

6 Likes

Samples can be up to 24 seconds long in 16-bit / 32kHz / mono format, with a total of 3.5 minutes’ worth of total sample storage space.

Pretty nice news - I thought it might have been 24 seconds in total!

8 Likes

5.0.0 Update not yet available. Maybe tomorrow? We’ll see.

Could be end of this month …

Wow!

There won’t ever be effects I’d guess, the interface just isn’t designed for it and I don’t see a way it wouldn’t be tacked on. Besides, it’s gone from weird little synth to massive crazy everything synth, for no real extra charge. Be happy for what it is, not what it lacks.

4 Likes

Love the look of this dark spaced out version.
Plus the new update makes this affordable GAS I can’t ignore any longer.

17 Likes

Me too…I was going to buy a minifreak but this is nice and small.

No guessing required, the voice architecture has no way to accommodate this - this is direct from Arturia, established around the launch time iirc

Love the look of this new one

3 Likes

Well, with new granular mode for me it’s less and less GAS for SonicWare ELZ_1 (I liked it since the launch, especially wave-extractor and grains but just combination of price and some odd features made me hesitant).

I don’t want to want it again. But I may have to get freaky once more. Lovely update.

1 Like

Yeah it’s really slick, between this and the Digitakt updates the game has really been upped.

Wow, well done Arturia. :ok_hand:

I’m extremely happy for what it is <3 great little synth

Btw. The update releases 30.05

(topic withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

While I would guess the microfreak is the best selling product for Arturia, I still believe it is very beautiful and inspiring that they still seem to push insane updates to such a low budget piece of hardware years after it has been released.

I am trying to think of another company that does or did anything like that but I think that is pretty unique to Arturia.

The only thing I can hope is this will be seen as an example for other companies!

6 Likes

You really have to take your hat off to Arturia for all that they’ve added to this post-release. I’d actually sold mines to mate (I’ve still got visitation rights!!) and it would almost be tempting to get another at some point (especially in the cool new design). But I would imagine a similar update will be forthcoming for the MiniFreak perhaps along with some other things to take advantage of it’s enhanced hardware… doing NGNY so will see how things look come the end of the year.

3 Likes

If they added usb audio out, and did it properly, i would probably pick one of those up. The value per sq inch/cm on this synth is nuts.

2 Likes