Arturia MicroFreak

Where did you see this variant?

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s monophonic sample playback?

No, I believe it too is 4-voice. Oscillator Sinkā€™s vid covers in detail, the different modes etc too.

1 Like

samples are mono 32khz, you can play 4 voice paraphony.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty cool. Iā€™d like to see some demos of cool textural patches using just samples with the MF.

1 Like

Also note - preset slots expanded to 512! This is brilliant - with all the different sounds it can make and especially with these new osc engines itā€™s great that they did this! Top marks Arturia!

1 Like

I wish it was 1000 but I do concur, devs we need more mem slots across the board for everything

Ohh, interesting! Iā€™ve never worried about balanced connections on any of my gear, even bigger more expensive stuff. I have no idea what most of my cables and connectors are! Unbalanced I would guess.

1 Like

Iā€™ve also used the headphone out for convenience with the NTS-1 and it was fine

Wow, Iā€™m very happy I didnā€™t sell my MicroFreak when I bought the MiniFreak.
They are both brilliant synths and the micro got even better than it already was!

1 Like

Happy to know library is expanded to 512 presets. When I got it I deleted most of them but stuffed all the memory with my own library. Now itā€™s full ^_^. Canā€™t wait to update with V5 firmware and go crazy with samples and breakbeats! Snappy envelopes are very welcome too.

I sold MF thinking that I will get MnF. I ended up not buying one because it felt a bitā€¦ like an afterthought. Kind of like a half baked bigger plate version of the original.

Now I miss MF.

1 Like

I just got a Minifreak and I love it! The poly effects alone are a huge plus and make it a complete self contained instrument. Iā€™ve struggled with my Digitone but this is giving me all the sounds I want right out of the bag I think itā€™s a real winner. Would pair nicely with a Microfreak too if you sacrificed one of the layers to give the micro some effects.

Interesting to read about the quietness of the micro too, thatā€™s defo not an issue with the mini so Iā€™m guessing they improved whatever that issue was.

2 Likes

It is actually quiet, but thereā€™s also the Preset Volume parameter!

quietness of the micro

Balanced cable fixes that. Output jacks are low quality, maybe they leak the signal somehow. But it got way better after swapping the cable.

2 Likes

Makes sense, although youā€™d need a destination that also supports balanced input so I assume it wouldnā€™t work for everyone/all situations.

I have my Minifreak set to 50% master volume and itā€™s louder than my AR so they must have done something to improve that. I wonder how the Minifreakā€™s audio input handles the Microfreak Iā€™ve not explored feeding it anything yet - I feel like theyā€™d want them to work together but it doesnā€™t mention if the input is balanced.

Edit: Ah the inputs not balanced, if anyone can test that combo Iā€™d be interested as Iā€™m tempted to pick up a micro but thatā€™s how Iā€™d want to use it. I guess with the volume of the mini being quite beefy that you could reduce the Osc volume to compensate and crank the master? :thinking:

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 11.55.32

Sold my Microfreak two months ago, just to reduce the amount of stuff that was overwhelming me. Missed it ever since, and now this updateā€¦ ordered a new one!

3 Likes

I think itā€™s just down to their adopting a balanced out with relatively low output to push through it, exacerbated by the paraphonic paradigm for some use cases

The vanilla output of a typical engine is approx -31dB with the right cable - whereas in a quick applesā€™nā€™oranges comparison itā€™s -23dB (+8dB) for a single vanilla Syntakt digital voice

So the Microfreak is quiet, but some of the perceived quietness can be down to folk rocking a vanilla unbalanced cable and using its paraphony - that takes another 12dB off

Hereā€™s a quick record of the Freak with an in-situ cable swap mid record (I also play with/without paraphony) so toggling between 1 and 4 voices can account for 6dB on top of the 6dB you expect when doubling the signal with a symmetric Balanced output

Unlike on the Elektrons which adopt so-called impedance matched ā€˜balancingā€™ to handle noise floor and compatibility - they do not benefit from a balanced cable (nor get level gain) except for the purposes of noise floor by cancelling out some ā€˜flippedā€™ noise (as opposed to a flipped full signal)

Not posting this in direct response to your post per se, just wanted to illustrate what was mentioned above and that the MF has ā€˜properā€™ balanced output, unlike our beloved :3lektron:s which elect to prioritise compatibility

hereā€™s the MF (ST below)

11 Likes

ā€¦just wait until 30th of may. then youĀ“re able to update.