Arturia Minilab Mk2 as midi controller

Does anyone have experience of pairing the Arturia Minilab Mk2 with the Rytm Mk2?

Until I sold it I was using an OP-1 as a midi controller and for how my mind works, I’m really missing having a physical keyboard for composing melodies on my AR Mk2.

I’ve also been thinking for a while that some assignable midi knobs would be super useful for controlling parameters on the AR. Assign to filters for a bunch of tracks, maybe have a few to fade in and out track levels for build ups.

Will the rotary encoder thing be a big hurdle to this working as I’m picturing? And does anyone have experience of connecting these two devices and assigning controls? How easy is it?

Thanks all.

Encoders are a good thing. Turn an encoder and values spit out, just like with the Elektron knobs. Pots can be more troublesome since they output absolute values. A controller with pots will either jump if the pot position and last sent value don’t match or will be suppressed until you turn the pot past the last known position and then catch up. Encoders are easiest to work with, and encoders with a screen are the best.

I don’t have the Minilab or an AR, but I have most of the big Elektrons and have had several Arturia controllers and synths.

Generally speaking, any MIDI controller that can operate standalone - doesn’t need to be tethered to a computer - and has some mechanism for assigning CCs to controllers will be fine with any Elektron. MIDI with DIN connectors is preferred, but TRS and adapters will also do the job.

In addition to the Minilab Mk2, you may want to look at Novation and Akai. In particular. the Novation Launchkey Mini seems to be the best small controller at the moment. But Akai and Arturia both make quality products.

Download the manuals for the keyboards that interest you and read through the instructions for setting up CC destinations. Pick the one that appeals to you (and fits within your budget).

1 Like

Super helpful thank you!

For anyone digging out this thread in future, I just found this previous question about the Digitone which has given me some new and useful knowledge!

I plan to connect the Minilab to the AR without a computer and I now know I would need a midi host of some description to make this work. I have a Kenton Midi Host I’ll be able to use for this purpose.