Arturia Minilab MK2 connection to Digitone help

Hi all, possibly frustrating newbie question here so apologies in advance. I’ve tried to find a solution but no luck so far.

How do I connect my Arturia Minilab MK2 to the Digitone? Minilab has USB B out only.

Thanks.

Have you tried Manual p 64.
Global settings menu, midi port config.
Input from -
Select USB to recieve midi data from USB port.

Both the MiniLab Mk2 and the Digitone are USB devices which need to be connected to a USB host.

The most common form of USB host is a computer, but there are also standalone USB hosts.

You need to connect your two units to a USB host, then use whatever MIDI routing software is on the host to pass messages from the MiniLab Mk2 to the Digitone.

2 Likes

This will have no effect until @Jameslondon74 is able to connect both MiniLab and Digitone to a suitable USB host.

1 Like

Ah! Wow I never knew this. I thought it would be a cable directly plugged from the Arturia into the Digitone. No wonder I haven’t been able to find anything.

None of the MIDI USB hosts I can find have USB B. So would I need to use a USB B > USB A adaptor?

E.g.

• Arturia USB-B OUT >>> USB host IN (using an adapter)
  • USB host MIDI OUT >>> Digitone IN (MIDI in)
  • Digitone USB-B OUT >>> Computer USB-A IN

If you have a computer involved, just connect both to the computer and route midi thru the daw… or do you want stand alone operation (without the computer)

The usb midi host typically accept the usb a plug. From there you can go to another box via din midi (5pol cable)

Such an “adaptor” is commonly known as a USB cable. This cable would have an A connector on one end and a B connector at the other, just like the one you would use to connect your Digitone to a computer.

Actually both. Sometimes I just want to connect the keyboard to the Digitone, other times I want to play the keyboard and the DAW (with Digitone connected).

I think my main issue is the first instance - connecting the keyboard to the Digitone. I just had no idea I would need a separate box to do this.

Aren’t there even USB-B male to USB-B male cables?

Yes but Digitone doesn’t have a USB-A connector. Both Digitone and Minilab have USB-B.

No such thing. Just connect your MiniLab to your computer.

But your computer does!

Sure.
So to connect the Minilab direct to the Digitone (for DAWless work) I need a host box in the middle?

Yes. Or a midi keyboard with din midi out, next time. I suggest to look out for that feature on every keyboard you buy…

1 Like

There are a few USB host devices (like this one) that would let you do this without a computer in the middle, but otherwise you’ll need a keyboard with a MIDI out, like the Keystep. For the money, you’re probably better off just getting a different keyboard.

I wish I’d known this before getting the MiniLab myself. It works fine plugged directly into my OP-Z because that functions as a host. But I wish I could use it with other gear. The MiniLab is really just meant to be used with your computer.

n00b mistake. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Noob mistake indeed. Although the wonderful Minilab has served me well. I bought it to use with my iPad when I was in my iOS phase. Bloody brilliant for that, and it is the keyboard to use when it comes to apps. (I still plan on using the iPad with Ableton Live.)

Thanks everyone. Looks like I wasn’t missing anything - good to get some other brains involved as always.