Arturia Polybrute

They definitely sound similar but I do have eyes in my head, and they look nothing alike.

1 Like

Considering that no one here really knows what’s under-the-hood, design wise, or who holds the patents for what; I think this entire controversy (or should I say polémique) and all this speculation could have been avoided, had Arturia simply not given the thing a stupid, obviously cheeky name.

:wink:

Cheers!

6 Likes

Good point. Unless they’re planning on selling the Morphée as a separate product (which would be really messed up IMHO, especially with that name) then naming it at all is provocative.

But anyway, carry on…

1 Like

Unfortunately no Agent Smith in the next installment. Hugo Weavings had enough. The Matrix is busted.

1 Like

This is better quality comedy than the repeated attempts on the Nightsky thread

I think we now have a color palette for our PolyBrute overlay. The Matrix.subdued green palette should work well. I bet it would even change the way the thing sounds.

See the walnut even works with this.

(Damn! I’m having an intense deja vu experience right now for whatever reason.)

8 Likes

My point is you can not expect people not to shere the ideas, the sharing of the ideas is what makes us evolve as a cultural animals. They didn’t copy anything that didn’t exist 50 years ago already. But i get your point too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you see a black cat, twice?

3 Likes

This has nothing to do with the PolyBrute itself, but I love the idea of applying movie palletes to a series of overlays. There should be a set of Reaper themes based on that concept – not just inspired by the palettes, but using them exactly. And never mind the fine art implications.

Often, the art direction, cinematography and post production is better than the film itself. Then again, Wong Kar-Wei’s/Christopher Doyle’s In the Mood for Love and 2046; Michael Powell’s The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus; Blade Runner, obviously; the original Suspiria; Johnathan Glazer’s Under the Skin; Douglas Sirk’s All That Heaven Allows; and Todd Hayne’s homage to Sirk, Far from Heaven.

3 Likes

Yeah Pretty in Pink would make a great overlay. :smile:

1 Like

if anything needs an overlay its this ugly brute

Me too…i have walked through that exact tunnel near Central Station in Sydney over 600 times on my way to work…when recording audio for court proceedings, in the Federal Family Court of Australia from 2003 to 2005…the exact tunnel where that scene was shot was about 300 meters from my place of employment…and I would have to pass through it every day…

2 Likes

I really liked Mylarmelodies review and audio demos. My concern is that it sounds closer to a VA than a vintage synth. What do you guys think?
Still, I can tell from the vast expressiveness that I’ve seen that I’d be really happy with it if I got it.

I’d really like to see a Desktop version with the Morphée and the ribbon controller included.

Since you asked for opinions, I think the VCOs have the sound one would expect from an analog, which is easier to hear when the effects are off, as demoed in Loopop’s video review. “Vintage” is too broad a term, so no comment on that. The VCOs have practically the same sound to me, when dry, as the other Arturia Brute synths - you either like the sound or you don’t. Same with the filters.

4 Likes

I think in addition being an analog synth with very well crafted digital controls has an influence in the sound. There are many factors on that — but in particular with the Morph function that smoothly changes multiple control parameters simultaneously — that gives this synth the agility you might see expressed in a virtual analog (digital) synth, and with a purely digital synth.

The versatility of the matrix, and the patches you can create with it, adds to that sound too.

Certainly optionally using the digital effects increases the impression. Nice that you can completely eliminate the digital sampling/desampling from the sound should you choose, with the option of using real analog effects of your choice outside the synth

3 Likes

I’ve wanted to hear the PB run through its presets sans effects ever since since people began saying it sounds so much smoother than the MB. Obviously, that was a goal for Arturia that went beyond reverb and delay, but it’s interesting that so many analog synth makers have gotten back to what we used to call “hairspray”: onboard effects to enhance and transorm sounds that have become so ubiquitous that the exceptional now seems ordinary. Loopop showed the difference, but I’d like to hear some exclusively naked demos, since I won’t be venturing to a music store to try the PB anytime soon.

Not that I’m complaining, esp. about everyone including effects and allowing you to input audio through their filters, even on wee budget items like the Typhon. I remember noticing how useful that was on the first keyboard sampler I ever owned, which was a Korg DSS-1.

But back to the present. I’d been planning to get an OB-6 or Prophet 6 module before this and still might because of space. Still, the PB has me eyeing the upper tier of my keyboard stand.

If the effects are on the preset level, it might be too tedious to turn FX off on every preset before demoing. If OTOH the effects are on the global level, then I guess it’d be easy enough,

Sorry I’m feeling too lazy right now to dig into the manual.

Marc Doty is the other reviewer who will commit video time to dry oscillator and filter tones, often spending an entire video on just oscillator and another just on filter. Maybe not exactly running through presets w/o FX like you want but you’ll hear more of the raw tones at least. He did one vid on the PB, implying he’s got a whole series in the works for it.

2 Likes

@Diayse I’d be very interested in a desktop model, I simply don’t buy big heavy keyboards.
Any plans for that?

Mylar Melodies’ review might suit what you’re looking for. At least in part.

He spends a fair amount of time without using effects but when he goes there, it’s not like he’s trying to cover for any inherent defects in sound design.

It’s not a preset play-though. It’s also not a short or superficial video but the guy is both fun and deeply knowledgeable so I, for one, found it compelling.

4 Likes

Interesting — So Soarer are you thinking vaguely comparable to the two models with the MiniBrute 2 series ?

Or maybe you’re thinking like the Sequential Prophet 6 and OB-6 modules then ? Or even the two Hydrasynths ?

Would you plan on using the matrix buttons for playing / note input ? A lot of the real estate on the APB is with the one-to-one controls, You wouldn’t save much space or weight unless you dropped some of the individual controls and double stuff up like on the Hydrasynth Desktop.

Another thing with an analog polysynth is there is simply a lot of circuitry in all the oscillators and filters and VCOs etc. That doesn’t go away under a smaller interface.

More blabbing

The thing with the Hydrasynths is they have those eight multi-function encoders each with there own text box and LED rings, so it’s easier to double stuff up.

Without that it’s more like the Argon desktop where they folded controls over top of other stuff with another mode button. They certainly get the prize for squeezing the largest amount of control in a a small area unless you consider something like a Blofeld.

What is your idea of things — Soarer (or anyone else with a similar desire) ?

2 Likes