Arturia Polybrute

That’s where I’m headed too.

An APB patch has the A and the B part built into it. (Again as I understand it.)

3 Likes

By the way, how does morphing works when the modulation matrixes are different on both sounds ?
Does it switch to the “new” matrix at 50% of the knob ? Or is there a smarter way ?

2 Likes

Excellent question, good insight,

Check the manual — you can’t. “The matrix is in everything”, going back to that Morpheus quote i put up earlier… Since the A and B are both in the patch they (are forced) to share the matrix.

(Again others check my math, please correct me if i am making a mistake.)

3 Likes

I see. I assumed that you were able to copy a patch and paste it as a A or B state but apparently I was wrong.

1 Like

The NordLead 4 can also Not Morph between Patch A and B, just Parameters, they call it Continuous Morphs and Impulse Mophs, while that particular one can include patch changes like Arp on or off. Not sure If the APB has that too.

1 Like
  1. BPM Sync mode, LFO rates can be modulated. The rate will jump between the various sync’ed rates.

2. Rates full list : from 4 bars to 1/32, either binary, dotted or triplets

3. Envelope are not BPM sync-able. The envelope design is very “analog”, more like the emulation of a decaying RC circuit rather than a function generator… I doubt they’ll ever be. It’s more likely we’d add retrig sources to the envelopes, like an LFO, for instance.

4. In the matrix Morph page there’s a “Pick B” function, which lets you choose a different destination for the morph, among all the existing presets. There is another feature called swap A & B. So it’s not as flexible as the Octatrack Scene selection, but you can still achieve the kind of thing you describe using the two features listed above.

6 Likes

The list of destinations (there are 32 of them) is shared between A and B.
The modulation amounts morph.

When you load a preset on a slot (using the Pick B function), it’ll fill the empty matrix destinations with the ones from the new “B” preset. If there are too many destinations, it will look for those that are used the least (lowest sum of modulation amounts), and replace them with the destinations of B that have a significant impact (high seum of modulation amounts). Maybe my description is not very clear, but in use, it’s quite transparent.

9 Likes

Any chance I can talk you into adding a CC or NRPN message for performing these functions through MIDI? :sweat_smile:

Right. On. :ok_hand:

Really appreciate the response, kind sir. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nick Batt’s review has gone up on YT:

7 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks.
If I get it well, if you load a preset on B, if a modulation present in B is not present in A, then it’s added with an amount of zero, and vice-versa ?

Well, I was able to get a response from the devs’ stream on my most pressing question:
“Could the Pick/ Swap functions be controlled via MIDI?”

Sure, interpolating between two param states is wonderful, but imagine performing interpolation across banks of param states (ala the OT):

1. “Morph” from A to B.
  2. “Pick A” via MIDI.
  3. Morph to a new patch on A.
  4. “Pick B” via MIDI.
  5. Morph to a new patch on B.
  6. Rinse/ repeat.

Listening to Nick’s review now.

Sounds really good to me.

The “Legs’ post i made, pulled a lot of likes, a lot more than i expected, so here’s a follow-up.

Sweetwater lists them for $200. They show them in this weird disembodied image.

But here’s another that shows how easy they should be to disassemble and transport.

If i understand this correctly they’re dual purpose, they’ll work with the PolyBrute and they also work with the KeyLab 88 MKII. The Sweerwater link.

1 Like

Nick just having fun — Friday Fun ! This is a good pairing, it shows that you want something special to put next to the APB. Seven minutes forty seconds long. Simple but really nice.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to a lot of demos now and I think the PolyBrute sounds fantastic. I have been considering getting an analog synth for a long time and wanted a vintage sounding one but with PB I’ll get a great sounding analog but much much more. I really like having plenty of sound shaping features in a synth and with all these modulation options there seems to be endless great sounds to be made. It has a lot of good effects, the morphée, the ribbon, the sequencer, the motion recorder, etc… Wow. Then sample that into OT… :smiley: I’m definitely tempted.

2 Likes

@Diayse Hi Seb Do you have any plans of making your PolyBrute Editor for iPad? That is something I would find very useful. I would be using the PB in a hardware setup and do not use a computer. Modal has done this very well and their iPad app for Argon8 is very responsive and gives a good overview of things.
As you write on your site the editor can be used for Library management, parameter editing and organization. That is a feature request :grinning:

Hey Soarer,

This is not planned for now, and quite unlikely I would say… We focused on the DAW integration primarily, so mac, windows.

2 Likes

I just watched Daniel Fisher’s demo, and I liked the sounds mylar got so much better, which strikes me as odd because Fisher’s demos always seem fine to me. Maybe it’s just a personal reaction, but I also liked Nick Batts’s better, though not as much as mylar.

1 Like

Found this really good tutorial from Arturia with plenty of sound examples. Nice to hear some new sounds from the PolyBrute.

3 Likes

So who bought one?

I’d pretty much ignored this synth until i listened to a random YT demo.

Totally changed my plan to get a Super 6 (to go with an Iridium)