Arturia Polybrute

Pretty much all of the Dave Smith/Sequential poly’s

1 Like

More sound.

6 Likes

I was wondering if there’s a friendly relationship, like what Moog Music and Make Noise have. MM and MN have this relationship because both are in Asheville, NC, and I think MN has some ex-MM employees on staff.

But then I checked on Google Maps and I see that Grenoble and Montreuil are over 440km apart, so I discarded that idea.

Pretty much all of the Dave Smith/Sequential poly’s

Shrieking of which, I’ve pondered whether to get the desktop Prophet 6, wait for the next Sequential or Arturia mutation or pick up a Polybrute ever since hearing the initial PB demos. It will be a choice based primarily on sound rather than features (where the Polybrute clearly wins). I wasn’t looking for a full-sized synth, but this one seems exceptional. I wonder how the keybed feels. And I wonder how it sounds without effects.

I have at least until early December to decide.

I like morphing. Doesn’t everyone?

If they use the Fatar keybed of the MB it’ll be a winner…As long as you like Fatar keybeds!

1 Like

If they use the Fatar keybed of the MB it’ll be a winner…As long as you like Fatar keybeds!

It depends on which variation of the model. A repair tech said that different iterations of what were otherwise the same Fatar keybed went into the NI S88, Keylab 88 Mk II and so froth, froth. Also in the Studiologic SL88. He said that the resulting keyboards (and the implementation of the keybeds) felt different. I’ll try to find the response I received if you’re interested.

Yeah they deffo offer different grades of keybed. They used to have the model numbers on their site at one time. I think the MB uses the TP9S which from memory it’s their top of the line semi weighted synth action before you get into their weighted piano action keybeds.

I’m fairly sure DSI use the same keybed as does the Waldorf Blofeld Keys and a load if other expensive synths.

FYI Fatar/Studiologic are the same company if you weren’t aware?

1 Like

The result can feel different from model to model in the same sense that DACs with the same chip can sound different (though in the case of DACs, it’s entirely the implementation, components, etc.).

The annoying thing about that is the need to play a synth/controller rather than read it has a particular Fatar keybed and be certain you’ll like it.

I see that you added this later:

FYI Fatar/Studiologic are the same company if you weren’t aware?

That doesn’t mean the keybed in an SL board has to be a stock, untweaked version. A company that makes keybeds for every other company might go out of its way to optimize its own and everything that might enhance the customer’s experience. Differences could easily apply. And a fair number of stage musicians do seem to love the feel of the SL88, so perhaps there’s magic involved. I’m not interested in that board because of the lack of features and inhospitable rise of the top (as a spot for modules and laptops), so I haven’t spent enough time with one to find out.

Edit

I could have sworn I’d read the MB has the Fatar bed but checking the spec and there’s no mention of it? Arturia call it their ‘pro action’ keybed, same as the Keylab 2 and MiniBrute 2S… could still be a Fatar, just not the top line grade.

Sorry for any confusion.

Either way the MB keybed feels nice but I get it’s subjective.

Thanks for the discussion, Bunker. I have no issue with what you’ve said, nor will I if you edit your words for your own reasons. We’ll know more about the Polybrute’s keybed soon.

1 Like

Nah, only digital inputs in the Matrix, like MatrixBrute. Audio-rate modulation is handled with the FM, Sync, and filter FM controls.

3 Likes

It’s not a Fatar keybed. It’s indeed the same keybed we’ve used in MatrixBrute, KeyLab mkII, MiniBrute 2, which is not initially our design but we customized it for a better feel.

6 Likes

Thanks for that Seb ! It’s fun to speculate here (i’m raising my hand), but it’s good to see you can bring us the truth.

I’m loving the PolyBrute.

tell us more!

Too bad. Audio rate modulation of a wave multiplier is pretty cool. Audio rate modulation is awesome on most things!

I can see the technical challenges of bringing modulation signal from an analog VCO into a mod matrix like this. But what about digital LFO´s? It would be awesome if you had an audio rate lfo that tracks to the keyboard!

Edit: Dont want to sound like im complaining about lack of features. This looks like it can be a modern classic. Sounds good on the demos so far, and has a feature set few other analog synths can touch. A bit like a modern Oberheim Matrix.

1 Like

Iridium comes first for me so I have time to let everything come out as these companies battle it out. When the dust settles from the current poly explosion; I’ll pick my analog poly then. I’ve got plenty to use until then.

3 Likes

Combo : Polybrute + Eventide Blackhole new pedal

4 Likes

Thanks for posting that. I didn’t know Eventide released this, and I’d been hoping for such a product for quite a while. I had some credit at zzounds.com to get it, should arrive tomorrow.

Polybrute sounds good through it, for sure. But in fairness, just about everything should. It’s a great algorithm.

It would have been nice to see Bo compare the APB’s onboard reverb with a more advanced pedal like this, to see where the similarities might end.

3 Likes

There is a discussion on latest Sonic Talk #635. Sounds like two of the guest are ready to buy, and everyone loved the sound. They talk about some of the things that have come up here, like, Is six enough ? I queued it up to the start of the discussion.

A couple of things to spur some conversation,

According to Nick, Arturia has made the sound smoother in comparison to the MatrixBrute, to make it better at polyphony.

And something I didn’t realize, according to Nick again, the Motion Recorder is multiple instance, so you can have a different one, per voice. I’m not sure how that works, but that would be great. (Hope I didn’t misunderstand him.)

ADDED: I just recalled, something else that Nick said that I thought interesting. That using the Morph function was useful to generate new patches — that there are interesting new patches to be discovered in the ‘morphed’ region between two patches.

ADDED: Later in the show they discuss the new Eventide Blackhole.

3 Likes

Nick Batt in the Sonic Talk video I just posted, expressed his discomfort with how close the Morphée is to the Touché in design.

I see his point yet also see fundamental differences in their functional design. I expect to hear more of Nick’s thoughts on this in his full review, which should be out in a few days.

1 Like