Audio crackling when using Digitakt and Digitone as combined aggregate audio device [Mac]

Hi There!

First time poster, Looking for some help - Im trying to use my Digitakt and Digitone together combined audio interface on Mac. Whenever I have the two in an aggregate device I get this crackling, low fidelity audio output. I have tried resetting the ram, using different cables, setting the sample rate the same, turning off drift correct, restarting macbook, using different power outlets, using different USB Ports and restarting elektron devices.

Using this as combined for external effect processing. Low quality audio occurs irrespective or whether in or out of DAW.

Macbook Pro (usb type C ports)
MacOS BigSur 11.6
Digitakt and Digitone both on latest firmware

Same issue occurs whenever I try to combine any two external interfaces.

Welcome to the forum! Have you tried increasing the buffer size? I’m not sure what DAW you’re using but it should be fairly easy to search in your DAW manual. Here it is in Ableton Live for example:

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply. Tried this but no joy unfortunately. This crackling // poor audio quality occurs before even opening the DAW (adjusting the DAW sample rate didnt seem to have any effect).

This problem occurs whenever I use more than one device in a Mac Aggregate audio device (Heat + Digitakt; UR22 interface + any elektron device etc)

I took a short video to demonstrate the audio issue

https://youtu.be/Cn0Br2gykwY

1 Like

maybe your / one of the device(s) run(s) on the wrong sample rate (44,1/48 kHz)?

Hi Pete! Thanks for the suggestion.

I had initially thought the same, however both the digitakt; digitone etc should be running on the same sample rate (48kHz).

Also it had previously been working together (literally the other day) but despite making no software changes // hardware changes, this started occuring :frowning:

I’ve been into the window to try setting different slave // masters and sample rates - doesnt seem to remedy the issue.

I use Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback instead of the built-in aggregate device tools. It’s way more reliable, and more configurable.

For instance, you can combine all your devices (audio interface, Digitakt, OP-Z, etc), and point Ableton at it. Even if you switch those devices on and off, Ableton doesn’t know.

This means you never, ever, have to configure audio IO again in Ableton, which is worth it for some. It’s not cheap ($118), but it’s very very good.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll try the demo and see if this resolves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you tried overbridge at all? I’ve done something similar to what you are describing but didn’t have to create an aggregate. Once overbridge was set up I was able to select the ins of the DN for a track like it was another interface.

2 Likes

Im just realising how much easier that would be… for some reason I didnt think you could record the Jack inputs through overbridge :joy: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

There’s no need to create an aggregate in Mac. Overbridge will handle all audio with the digi’s. You can keep your regular audio interface selected in preferences.

5 Likes

As far as I can tell the outputs of the DN / DT are only available when you make an aggregated device. So being able to have the DT hooked via USB to then send audio through the DT works only via Aggregated device, the I/O does not match when using OB.

Using the demo atm; super interesting. You can basically hardwire your audio; not having to depend on your routing in Ableton.
Still figuring out how to do FX on individual tracks and such.