Audio Interface Recommendations

Hay Everyone,
I want to record my Rytm MKI + Octatrack MKII + Modular system (8 Input total) into Ableton. Do you have any recommendations for a good Audio interface? I’m looking for decent sound quality and low latency.
My 2017 MacBook Pro has 4 Thunderbolt 3 Ports and a 3,1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor. Not sure whether I could use a firewire Interface with it?

Your advice is always appreciated,
Thomilé

RME all day every day. The recent UCX ii has DC coupled outputs to send CV signals from software (VCV, Reaktor etc)

10 Likes

Very happy with MOTU Ultralite MK4.
Does the DC coupled outputs CV thing as well.

In Ableton I get Sub 4ms round trip latency at 44.1khz. And about 3.5ms round trip at 48khz.
Thanks to this and zero latency plugins, I use my Mac Mini and Ableton as my mixer. Great to always be in a spot ready to record and monitor through top notch plugins.

Really can’t go wrong with modern MOTU or RME. I’d narrow it down to those two brands and buy the interface that has the features you need.

5 Likes

I have a MOTU Ultralite MK5 and very happy with it. I use it with a Mac.

4 Likes

Only RME.
Why?
Trust, sound, support drivers for yearrrrrssss to come.

It’s a bit of an investment but what if you choose a cheaper brand and they drop driver support after some years?(this happend to me just to often)
Then you regret you did not went the RME path.

6 Likes

Focusrite 18i20 or MOTU Ultralite MK5. Rocking both and they’re fantastic.

1 Like

If RME had been available when I needed one I had opted for RME.
Regrettably I had to order a Clarett+ 8 pre ‘only’.

2 Likes

That it is, but to never have to worry about your interface crashing or losing support, absolutely worth it.

6 Likes

Am using a 20 old RME interface, and RME still pushes drivers for it.
Never look back.

8 Likes

Love my babyface pro, this this will serve me till it literally falls apart in 10 years.

1 Like

Guess I’ll have to save up some money to get an RME :slight_smile:
Thanks for the responses!

4 Likes

I recently decided to upgrade the most important parts of my studio and audio interface was on the top of my list. I had always been someone who thought all modern converters should sound about the same right? OMG was I wrong, good converters sound so much better! I listened to a ton of converters and eventually I decided on a prism titan. It sounds sooooo much better then the other interfaces I have used, you can instantly tell the difference whether you are listening on your monitors, headphones, or a cheap pair of earbuds. My wife even made a comment about it without me telling her anything had changed. It was a really eye opening experience. Other really good sounding interfaces were the merging hapi and the metric halo, and an apogee symphony mkii I listened to wasn’t too bad either, although I always preferred the prism stuff. Oh, and HEDD quantum was nice but not enough I/O for me. RME was never at the top of the list as far as sound, but they are rock solid interfaces with great drivers. Some people just use them for the interface and connect better converters to them.

Don’t get a FireWire interface, macOS Ventura will not support FireWire.

Focusrite 18i20 second gen user here and it’s been incredibly solid. If you are a beginner there’s not really the need for RME prices. RME is great however but more of upgrade down the line IMO

MOTU UltraLite Mk3 for the last 6/7 years here.
Reliable with Mac.
DC coupled. I suppose that would be a good thing for modular?
Second hand you will find them for next to nothing.
Mk4 and Mk5 if you want newer.
Never used an RME but that would surely be my next move if I was to replace my MOTU. More $$$ though.

1 Like

I am looking for an audio interface too, and from what I’ve read, Motu is an excellent choice for Mac users.

I am on the hunt for a Rme but unfortunately, the UCX II is not available anywhere in Europe. The Babyface Pro and the Fireface UC can be found used, but the UC is 12 years old and I don’t know how much longer Rme will support it.

I’ve never had a problem with a lowly Behringer UMC404HD and was thinking of getting the 8 input version of that. What’s the difference between cheaper interfaces and the fancier RME and MOTU interfaces recommended here? Genuine question :raising_hand_woman:

1 Like

Since the OP is looking for 8 inputs that leans towards higher prices. Is there such a thing as a “budget” 8 input interface?

1 Like

Modular as well? Got to be an ES9?

I use 2 audio interfaces.

I use an ES9 to get a multichannel into my iPad. I plug the the output into my Heat and use the USB audio out with a camera connection kit to record into my phone. I can listen to my recordings on my commute. It’s so fast and no laptop required.

3 Likes

I have a presonous quantum 2626, its running stable on a mac mini (intel) and an amd desktop. 8 in and 8 out, i use the other outs to monitor a bluetooth mono speaker, to compare mixes. Great unit for an affordable price (i have two of them)