Audiothingies Doctor A

That’s my intended setup.
Does that make sense using those stereo to 2 mono adapter jack?

Specular Reverb or Tempus?

1 Like

Specular v3

Those are for splitting a signal, not for mixing two signals into one.

If it would be possible to go mono (left input) into the Doc A and go mono out of the Doc A and if the Specular v3 could work similarly, you could connect it that way.
If not, you‘d need a mixer.

When I get home, I‘ll test which configurations are possible with the Doc A, I tested it with most of my gear in different congratulations, but it‘s on my mixers aux since then.

1 Like

Really appreciate your input and help @Tchu and @Schnork
Will test when DFAM arrives :slight_smile:
Will report back.
Could also use my MOTU UltraLite Mk3:
Subharmonicon > Specular IN Left
Specular OUT Left/Right > MOTU IN 3/4
DFAM > Analog Drive > Doctor A IN Left
Doctor A OUT Left/Right > MOTU IN 5/6
Digitakt OUT Left/Right > MOTU IN 7/8

1 Like

If I understand this correct you are losing all of the lush stereoness from all fx boxes

:cry:

2 Likes

@re5et in this way I believe I don’t.
Correct me if I am wrong :slight_smile:

So…did a quick test. Mono in (using left input only) works and when Doc A is in stereo input and stereo output mode, you can go mono out (using left output only) as well as stereo out (left and right out).

1 Like

Thank you very much @Schnork
I do appreciate you taking the time.
I might lose some of the “lush stereoness” as stated by @re5et but in the end it will be connected to DFAM… So not so bad :slight_smile:

You could better add a small (passive?) mixer to combine the stereo signals of both fx boxes and put the mix to the L/R input of the digitact. That way you keep the wide stereo signal of the fx

4 Likes

I don’t have a motu but mono in and maintaining stereo out should in theory work ( most fx boxes have mono / stereo in )

If possibly I’d probably use a small mixer with 2 x fx sends

Also mix wise it may work ok to have one reverb central ( mono )one wider ( stereo )

1 Like

Thanks @mprinsen for the input. I have been thinking this through and I think I will go with my MOTU for various reasons:

1. DFAM > Analog Drive > IN Left Doctor A
    OUT Left/Right Doctor A > MOTU IN 3/4
  2. Subharmonicon > IN Left Specular v3
    OUT Left/Right Specular v3 > MOTU IN 5/6
  3. In MOTU CueMix I will have IN 3/4 and IN 5/6 routed to OUT 1/2 going into Digitakt IN Left/Right. This way I can use Digitakt’s handy compressor :slight_smile: And also have the option to resample.

Using the MOTU in standalone mode and Digitakt connected to my Mac with OB I could multitrack in my DAW :slight_smile:

An alternative would be to have Digitakt > MOTU IN 7/8 and then have MOTU Main OUT through an FMR RNC :slight_smile:

I am trying to minimize my setup as much as possible.

You can use the Doctor A as 2 Mono FX units . Reverb and Delay separate if you choose mono in mono out . Sorry if someone has written that already

1 Like

Thanks @slawa_soloma :slight_smile:
Yes I knew about that and have been pondering it.
Will have to give it a try to see if the Specular v3 sits well in the mix or not, I suppose.

i use the Doctor A as a send FX with OT only sending the L Cue out and it works like a charm. Comes back as stereo

1 Like

I’d like to use doctor a on an output of my Blackbox for some dubby tape delay and springy reverb fx.

Can anyone with a doctor a confirm whether you can achieve these sort of sounds - does the ‘bouncy’ reverb do the drippy reverb thing? And will the delays wow and flutter with the modulation and filters?

Thanks

I have been using the Doctor a while and this is a very nice effect unit in my opinion.
The 12 bit factor adds to its character.
You will indeed get that “dubby” delay you are after. Just be careful with the feedback though, it can take you (and your neighbors) to VERY noisy places :slight_smile:
Not sure about the “drippy reverb thing” though. Not saying it can’t but I have not gone down that route with it.
The Plate Reverb is out of this world though.
Modulation is very nice indeed.
Add to it MIDI sync, cv, LP and HP.
Hope it helps.

1 Like

Dub delay for sure, it’s a lot of fun. I haven’t gotten a typical spring reverb sound out of it though, I like the reverbs, but no spring as far as I can tell.

A very fun unit indeed, and I love the flexibility of a delay and a reverb that can be fed the delay or not, hi and low frequency controls and ON/OFF, volume for both effects.

For example, I love to turn ON delay to catch just a bit of the music with feedback at 100%, turning OFF the delay mutes the signal being sent to it, but not the output, so the dub feedback can go on and on. And yes, the delay volume knob is your friend in that case!

2 Likes

Just to add to that:
The Lofi Delay (8 Bit) is pretty noisy, like overdriven preamp noisy, can be used to get nice textures.
The Classic Delay is actually pretty controlled, although the Space Delay self-oscillates easily. Gotta ne careful with the feedback.
Ping Pong is rather controlled, but you can get lovely rhythmic play out of it.

1 Like