Audiothingies Doctor A

Maybe if we all clap @elektrosamplist will grant our wish

2 Likes

I did see one pop up there once or twice before @vasidudu so graciously sold me his. Shortly after I bought it, I saw one on reverb briefly, but yes, they are very hard to come by.

I’d consider buying another one if they were made available again. (Especially if MM2 chorus was added!)

3 Likes

That chorus is really nice. I thought it was an emulation of Juno chorus, but I think I like it more.

Hmm. The reverb is very reminiscent of a Lexicon to me. So maybe a Meris Mercury7 or maybe Golden Reverberator in hall mode?

For the delay/reverb combo, though, I don’t know. The only other box I had that did anything close was an earthquaker Avalanche Run, and I didn’t get along with it well.

1 Like

Source Audio Collider is a delay/reverb combo (also dual delay or dual verb possible) pedal with different algos. I‘m not familiar with the sound or how it compares to the Doc A, but maybe you find something in there, that you like?

Yep, he once mentioned the Doc A reverb was inspired by Lexicon (the post is somewhere here in the thread).

The lofi delay is 8 bit, the other delays are 12 bit. Soundwise they‘re quite unique imho.
You can control the timing of the second tap on the ping pong delay (Tap+ Feedback), that feature is also on some Lexicon delays, but the sound is nothing I’ve heard from Lexis. Love playing with rhythms on the ping pong btw. That‘s really great!

No midi or CV on that one either. The Doctor A has a feature set that requires multiple pedals or a eurorack case to emulate.

Source Audio Collider is slightly comparable. Still different. No cv inputs. Less direct controls, thus less geared towards live tweaking.

It’s a Matriarch for me but same idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, maybe if we keep this threading going they will reconsider making it again considering they must of put a lot of time developing the algorithms and isn’t the housing basically the same as the micromonsta? But… running a small business is such a pain in the ass.

1 Like

Yes! If they’re reading: such a fantastic effect!! Analog path means no added latency from input to output, the algorithms sound great and the UI with the ON/OFF buttons to send to the effect sporadically are amazing… Very versatile.

Hope these come to production again some day…

1 Like

I think there are slight differences in size, like half a centimeter. Doc A a little deeper, but a little less height (that’s from their documentation, can’t check right now, but next to each other they seem similar) Not sure if they can still source the old MM cases anyways.

Btw, @elektrosamplist a Eurorack version with a few more cv inputs and (maybe more possible modulation destinations, the filters for example, second parameters like mod speed) would probaply sell well (also no dealing with psu regulations).

1 Like

Wow, lots of Dr A talk these days…
I’m glad some of you use it and like it.

To answer some of the questions:

It’s been discontinued because of several reasons:

• converter chip factory burnt and the particular one I was using was discontinued with the rebuild
  • too expensive, I had to lower the price down the road to reposition it on the market
  • it was not fun to build at all… way too much time consuming (that’s the main reason honestly)

So don’t expect a reissue, it’s just impossible.
It was too expensive at release, imagine now with all the price increases we have to face…

Another device based on the work I’ve done on it (especially the long hours spent tuning the reverb algorithms)? maybe… or not… still undecided at this point.

I’d have to do it very differently

• slimmer profile like MM2 - because why not
  • no more eurorack compatible levels (like all the competitors you listed above)
  • maybe no cv control
  • probably minijack i/o’s

but:

• more tonal options - there are hidden parameters that could be revealed via the right UI
  • some other stuff I have in mind
  • most importantly: less expensive, (probably around MM2 price).

But is it worth the time/money investment, not sure given the competition on this kind of device (there is in fact a lot of competitors, because it is compared to delay units, reverb units and delay/reverb units, and maybe multi effects).

17 Likes

I’m all for more tonal options/more parameters!
No problem with slimmer profile and mini jacks (although I usually try to avoid it) and if it wouldn’t take euro levels, that would be ok for me, too! It’s a desktop fx box, doesn’t have to work with euro levels.

My Doc A is basically always on stereo chorus-ish-flanger duties, so I kinda need another one. I’d buy a Doc A 2/Doc B for sure! :slight_smile:

Why is it called Doctor A btw?

1 Like

Thanks for getting back here and sharing this.

Well, I’m proud and happy to own one, bought it used on an impulse and happy since then. It’s a beautiful design (overall, I’m not only talking insdustrial design).

I personally don’t use/care about CV control. On the pure audio side, it’s doing a lot!

Hope for an iteration some day but I understand as a small operation this is difficult.

You can add me to the anecdotal list of people who would buy a Doctor A2.

Though, to be honest, you could also add me to the list to buy whatever Audiothingie’s next device is, sight-unseen, just based on my experience with the MM2 and the DrA.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about the dev/biz troubles it brought. While it doesn’t pay the bills, at least know that the Doc has its fans :+1:

Now that I know the answer I’m likely going to become obsessed with finding one second hand.

@elektrosamplist I know you said you want to make it cheaper if you release something similar and assume that’s based on your experience with the Doctor A. but reading most the comments here I don’t think that the price of the original is an issue for some people, in hindsight. The design of the Doctor A for me is as compelling as the sound and although you cite the competition out there I don’t know many modern units in that size / “form factor”. I’m tired of looking into something similar only to find it’s some fugly pedal.

1 Like

Literally, first comment on French forum was: it’s too expensive - we are cheap asses :wink:
I had to lower the price at some point so I guess there was some kind of truth in these comments.

3 Likes

I feel like looking at it now it seems like it was well priced for its function/sound, can’t remember what I thought when it came out, only thing I have that is kind of similar is the EFFEXX RT1701 in eurorack and while it does more and has a different character, it offers that sort of knobby multifx with a few cv options and it costs a good deal more especially if you were to want it stand alone. To rack it/add in line level/add in midi sync would put you at double the cost of a Doc A or perhaps even more.

Though you might be correct in that it doesn’t feel like the EFFEXX sold that well, never really hear people talking about it even though I think it is amazing. FX is indeed a very competitive market, and if your thing doesn’t happen to become the next “this is the one” it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.

1 Like

I always thought it was very affordable in comparison to its competition. Same with the Micromonstas.

2 Likes