Baby Audio BA-1

Baby Audio’s first synth is a model of the Yamaha CS01 from the 80’s

It doesn’t seem to be a faithful recreation and has a bunch of extra toys on it.

It’s half price at $49 and you can get an extra 10% off at the moment with the code BAFAM10

I bought it on a whim, but I haven’t tried it yet as I’m trying to get a Hiphop challenge completed.

I really don’t need it, but I always love everything Baby Audio do so it was an easy purchase.

2 Likes

should be available on iOS soon.

2 Likes

I bought it a couple of days ago and did this as my first play with it. It’s all BA-1 apart from the drums that are Drum Computer by SugarBytes.

5 Likes

That’s awesome, love it!

I can’t wait to have a play with BA-1 at the weekend.

Fun synth, limited but sounds nice and fun to use! I like the effects and battery control.

Here’s the first thing I made with 6x instances of it and a bit of Arturia EFX Fragments.

You can use TRIAL0415 to get 15% off, at that price can you say no? Lol. Not sure it is worth the full price but for £30ish it’s fun.

3 Likes

I’m hoping BA-1 is going to be what I hoped Twin-3 would be, just a really simple great synth, but unfortunately I just didn’t love the tone of Twin 3 or find it that fun to use.

Twin-3 tempted me but never clicked with the sound of it. I like all the other FabFilter plugins and use them all the time.

The BA-1 is fun to use and I can see myself using it in lots of tracks.

thanks!

Am kinda annoyed how much time and money I spent midifying my CS01 now…
Nah, not really, but am pretty tempted by this at that price.

LOVE LOVE A CS-01.

1 Like

Ok, I’m sold. I think one reason I haven’t done squat with my Mac softsynths is they’re all complicated in some way or another. This one looks simple and sounds good to me.

From the CDM article, with Skinnerbox M4L acid generator driving it

I have seen some people criticising how little it sounds like a CS-01, and I do feel like there’s no way you’re getting a stock CS-01 to sound like that!

:wink:

There’s a resonance mod which kinda sends it into that territory, but still.

Yeah I suspect that it doesn’t actually model a CS-01 that accurately. It’s more of a jumping off point.

I’m making a track using nothing, but BA-1 and some LInn Drum samples at the moment and it’s quite limited, but it’s also really easy to get a vibe, hard to get an unusable sound out of it and it doesn’t seem to hammer to CPU.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing tbh, but when they’re saying “it’s analog modelled”…

Just worrth mentioning I guess - saw a retro-80s/90s-dancehall producer complaining that the triangle doesn’t sound right, which if you were going to buy it for making retro dancehall might be a deal killer!

I did this track using 4 instances of BA-1

It’s got some Sublab beefing up the low end, but other than that it’s all one synth.

It’s not in any shape or form versatile, but it nails that wonky synthwave vibe and you can make the batteries run out as I do at the end of the track for LOLs.

1 Like