Backing up projects without collecting samples?

Hi nauts,

I’m backing up my DT with the Transfer app. I want to copy all my projects and all sample folders to my computer. Problem is that when copying projects the Transfer app also copies all samples used in those projects so I end up with duplicate samples as they are in the project and also the sample folders. Then if I want to restore these projects and folders to a DT it becomes tricky because of duplicates, right?

So I guess my question is, can a project be copied over without bringing all the samples with it?

When you add a project back into model:samples, the transfer app identifies duplicates and asks you how you want to deal with with them. I’ve seen this happen, and I know from previous posts that the same thing happens on the Digitakt (and presumably others).

I’m also fairly sure that even when you import duplicate samples with differing filenames (not as part of the project) into the m:s that the results are two filename entries pointing to a single file. No extra space is taken up. I’d also expect this to be true of the digitakt (but someone please correct me if you know otherwise).

EDIT: Maybe I misread … are you concerned about duplicates taking up space on your computer or on the digitakt ?

1 Like

Oh it’s much more clever than I assumed it was. That’s a super useful feature and certainly clears my worries about taking storage space. Yes, I was worrying about filling up DT with duplicates if I restore.

Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like