Bad Gear

I’m deffo in the wrong forum :rofl:

1 Like

Nah it’s me. I should clarify, I love electronic music. It’s just that at high tempos, the four to the floor can sometimes be grading to my ears, like a car alarm. However, as I get older, I like it more than I used to.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s all good, nothing pointed at your post! It’s me too to be fair. I like vocals, pianos, melodies etc etc. I suspect that gives my age away to some extent! Deeply uncool around these parts I suspect. Each to their own I guess!

1 Like

I bought this thing one time while on a business trip. Something to just dick around with in the hotel room. Checked out 5 days later. The hotel stay was longer than my 303 ownership.

4 Likes

My pal who I did stuff with bought one when they were new. We were both crestfallen when we realised it’s limitations. I don’t remember exactly but I’m sure it was something like it only worked in omni mode when sequencing external gear over midi. Deal breaker for us

1 Like

I used it for a short time when i first got into my synth GAS phase, i remember it had some solid roland type sounds. it did have a sound module mode where you can control it by midi which i mostly did. however it wasn’t worth it for me in the end and it is sitting with the yamaha rm1x in storage :sweat_smile:

1 Like

all i wanted was a semi-decent drum rompler, and it couldnt even do that easily :confused:

3 Likes

I still have mine and last week I dust it out to sample the 808 and 909 kits.

2 Likes

this was kind of part of the original vision of trying it out. thing was just tedious to use and the fact ALL percussion is on the R track. luckily the previous owner included this manual to help me out. Its the original Roland documentation in Japanese, but i think i figured out what its saying…

6 Likes

Yeah, sold my mc303, and good riddance. I still have one of those little xenyx 502 mixers that fin25 posted above. After I’ve sold that to somebody I’ll say rude things about it, but not until then :wink:

1 Like

isnt that JD-08 “bad gear”, is what EZBOT been saying in his recent videos that its quite good?

1 Like

My Uno Synth Pro is now officially Bad Gear. So now the only things I use all the time that haven’t been featured are my Circuit Rhythm and my Sampletrak. I get that the Sampletrak is kind of obscure but come to think of it, I’m surprised he hasn’t got around to the Rhythm yet.

3 Likes

What’s your opinion of the USP? I keep eyeing them up. I did read some people saying theirs run hot. I tend to ignore that particular ‘expert’

1 Like

My first bits of kit were the following:

• Roland SP-202. I would re-buy this machine today (and recently put the SP-303 on layaway) even though it’s severely limited by today’s standards. Maybe it’s sentimental ignorance, maybe it’s because I’m so familiar with its UI/workflow, but it’s special to me.

• Roland DR-202 Doctor Groove. I would re-buy this machine in a heartbeat at the right price. This is mostly due to sentimental nostalgia I think. It’s still a great machine, but it has been left in the dust by modern grooveboxe and drum machines/drum synths. Machinedrum, Syntakt, LXR-02, Gotherman’s SpazeDrum and RYTM to name a few. But there’s something about the OG doctor. Plus, the red and black design would look great with the OG dark trinity. TBH, I doubt I will re-buy it unless I find it at a junk shop, but this is probably the only piece of kit I ever truly mastered.

• Korg Electribe EA-1. I absolutely hated this synth/groovebox. It actually put me off of synths, which are my favorite things in the world (other than my wife and my cats). I love samplers too but synths are my jam spot. I probably didn’t give it enough of a go despite having it for over two years. It just sounded like a boring techno machine to my ears and I could never find a sweet spot.

Still reading the 908 posts in Bankie’s OG thread but spotted some hate for the EA-1 there which reminded me of how much I hated that damn thing. And it was Dallas Cowboys colored! And I’m a Cowboys fan (unfortunately), which makes it even sadder. :rofl:

5 Likes

Whoa! What happened with the Synth Pro? :rofl:

Oh, you mean the show? Okay.

1 Like

Just for you, another of my pieces of Bad Gear

3 Likes

My precious

1 Like

Yours has the yellowed pads too. OMG! Tobacco smoke-free studio? Amirite? Yes kids, weed smoke will yellow the pads too!

1 Like

Recently sold my Aruria Drumbrute which had poor sounds, although it was very intuitive I have to say. The time that guy was here I found an old Sony machine with some really cheese sounds on it that I once bought, gave it him for free. After checking online I just gave him around 80 bucks. So I guess buying an Arturia Drumbrute could be beneficial in some occasions, although it’s not for the audio for both of them :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I love playing the drum brute but I agree the sounds aren’t it’s best feature. It’s a shame as I always found it such a joy to play

3 Likes