Bandcamp joins....Epic Games?

And speaking of bread crumbs and behringer I feel like these new spirit and soul synths are somehow insulting :eyes:

1 Like

You all should know by now that nothing impresses me.

4 Likes

No mirror in my pocket.

3 Likes

Go to shows and buy music direct from the artist

5 Likes

Nah, I won’t ever put it on spotify though.

BTW my rants are not rage, just pissing about and having a laugh at absurdity.

2 Likes

I’m hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. Seen enough acquisitions to give me a healthy dose of pessimism. Going to download my collection, just in case.

2 Likes

At the rate I’m going, I should have something to actually release in… 2024

I’m not on board the cassette train, so won’t release on that.

Too cheap to spend money on a vinyl release.

I do have a stack of blank CDs.

Maybe I’ll just put it on Youtube. Don’t forget to Subscribe and Smash the Like button!

3 Likes

This is (was?) Apple’s fault. Apple limits what 3rd parties can sell through their apps. BC can’t provide a service that lets you buy media. It’s the same reason you can’t buy books through the Amazon app or Audible.

4 Likes

is it possible to download releases via the phone’s web browser instead of the app? i’ve never tried.

yeah but it’s kinda hidden… had to google it last time I tried - and already have forgotten

1 Like

Just checked the app on my iPhone to make sure - yes there’s a download button.

Perhaps a different story for Android phone owners - forgot what type of phone you said you have

Anyways … I think the best of this is: Lots of money for a better app / web platform. It was always better than soundcloud though but always had problems here and there.

2 Likes

To me this seems a niche benefit. Games have had excellent music for years when the devs had interest and budget for it (e.g. GTA). How will BC provide cheaper access? Are you expecting licensing? BC are a shop, not a label. Perhaps it’ll help with discovery? That’s a possibility.

Personally, I’m worried about this buy-out. Epic’s business model is about DRM, lock-in and up-selling. It’s basically the opposite of BC’s.

It could work out well. I hope it does.

2 Likes

I’m probably in the minority in that i dont use the BC phone app. So whatever the flaws are there, they dont bother me.

BC always works fine on the computer.

Waiting for the « We should all abandoned Bandcamp » thread.

10 Likes

I am hoping for more discovery. If they make the licensing super easy (which is my hope in their hints of better ways to get music out there) the devs could look for music that fits their game instead of the musician having to ask every game dev. Then you get royalties.

Hotline Miami did wonders for the synthwave/darkwave scene. They did their due diligence and reached out to the artists but Pertubator had a lot of success thanks to that game.

Less friction: more sales/revenue. At the cost of what? Unclear for now.

1 Like

I already posted a screen grab of the download button on the Android app, earlier in this thread. The button is there, and the MP3 files can be found by browsing the phone’s internal storage.

The app and the website both work great for me. Bandcamp is really pretty damn good in most ways, so I really hope Epic don’t feck it up

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel about it. Really prefer BC as a listener.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not abandoning bandcamp now or anything right this minute. Epic hasn’t changed anything about how the service works or people get paid as far as I can tell.

I’d love to be wrong about Epic! Will happily eat crow if everything says the same or gets better. But looking at the history of corporate buyouts and mergers, I’m not counting on it

6 Likes