Bassdrum sound design advice

Hey, I just heard the track “The Persuader - Sun Position” and I really like the Bassdrum. Now I almost spent 2 hours on getting that sound, only with the Machinedrum internal machines.

I already tried layering and that stuff but I’m not getting this raw compact sound.

Could you give me some advice on how to approach this? I wanted to learn it it by myself but somehow I’m lost with this.

I’ve uploaded a little loop of the bassdrum

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53407711/bd.aif

I also captured the frequency response, when the bassdrum punches. Maybe it’s of interest

set up a pattern with your beat … make it a 4 /4 for simplicity …

then set up 2 machines

1 ctr eq

and

1 ctr al

save your kit for your pattern

copy pattern 2 more times

so you start off with A1 Kit Cow
pattern A2 Kit Milk
pattern A4 KIT GRASS

play a1 and mangle the eq and ctl machine … if you are a bit happier than before save it (cow)

play a2 and fuck around with the parameter … maybe even copy your BD machine after you messed around to have the initial patch / sound present in your new creation … save kit MILK

do the above mentioned again either start off with a blank kit or use any of the 2 previous ones (cow or milk)

start messing around and save the result in a kit = grass…

now play them 3 patterns A1 A2 A3 with the corresponding kits … you can quickly see how ur sound evolved and which is closest to your goal…

take the one you like most, and keep adjusting and saving … add subtle machines for grittyness reverb, attack punch to taste …

just my 2 ct for tha workflow

1 Like

Thanks dude, I’ll definitely try this approach out. It seems that there are also completely unexpected sounds possible. :joy: