Beginner guitar

Usually I GAS over the latest synth or drum machine. But lately I’ve been gassing over guitar. I guess the extended lock down period has me thinking I should learn something new in this down time.
I’ve been listening to a lot of electric wizard and makes me want to make some noise.

I’ve been looking at guitars with no actual clue about how they work or what all the terms mean. It seems you can spend a lot, or not very much, and the differences are hard to distinguish for a newbie.

for example, pick up types: single coil, humbuckers, amount of pick ups and their placements.

Is there anything I should absolutely avoid?

I don’t want to end up in the ‘eurorack’ problem where I started cheap with a tiny case and then instantly needed a bigger case and power supply. Can a cheap (200 euro) guitar+amp pack sustain a potentially short term fascination and beyond?

1 Like

200 euros is kinda pushing it unless you get a decent used guitar. There are some great guitars in the 400 range, such as the Squier Classic Vibe series. You don’t really even need an amp to start out with – you can use amp models on your phone or computer as long as you have an audio interface.

2 Likes

this is the kind of thing I’m looking at. Is it likely to just fall apart?
I guess going up in budget means it might retain some value if I just don’t get along with it and want to sell on.

More like it will be less comfortable to play, harder to intonate, keep in tune, etc. In your price range, these are actually decent (at least the bass I have is): https://www.gear4music.com/Ibanez/GIO-Series

1 Like

I’d be amazed if a guitar like this wasn’t suitable as an entry level instrument - it shouldn’t hinder you, nor be lacking in sonic options - it’ll be better than you need for some while … this is a guess, based on seeing reviews of these in the past, i’d expect it is worth a punt, there’s nothing much to lose on it compared to a pricier guitar if you decide to move it on

plus one of these will in all likelihood sound more inspiring than teh amp in that bundle - again, hard to outgrow as a learner, should be enough variety in there and not much to lose if you move it all on

not far off the budget in total

having said that, i own neither - and it’s possible that a poor guitar can be a pain to learn on, but less so an electric than acoustic or bass

just a suggestion in line with the budget - should give you avenues to explore - there must be 100 videos discussing this topic on youtube

5 Likes

I started on a cheap guitar, I would think any of the big names will get you going. Nice thing is local shops will do trade ins to help fund the next step up.

1 Like

If you get something with a little more of a brand name it will probably sell easier if you don’t gel with it. Have you looked ad Squier? They actually make some really decent guitars for very good prices. I started on a Squier strat and still own a Squier bass that I use on pretty much all of my tracks.

Don’t worry about the differences between all of the guitars and models out there right now. Just start playing. If you like it, after a while you will have a much better idea of your style and preferences when you go shopping for another guitar eventually.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried one, but there is sort of a cult following of Thomann’s in-house brand, Harley Benton: https://harleybenton.com/

I have had some other budget guitars: I can speak very highly of G&L’s Tribute series and Yamaha Pacificas; Squier and Epiphone have been hit or miss, but the misses haven’t been horrible. Budget guitars have come a long way; you can get a lot out of any of these guitars, with some occasional duds because of QA more than design issues (look for a return policy or try-out period when purchasing; buying local, if possible, would make this much easier).

200 euros is tough to stretch for a guitar and an amp. A decent amp (which you can get for 200ish euros – the Boss Katana series comes to mind but there are others) will do a lot to help you get the most out of a guitar.

Things to avoid: A Floyd rose or other locking system is not newbie friendly. People talk up tube amps, but they can be a lot of maintenance (probably out of your price range, but there are some cheap 5-watters out there).

9 Likes

Thanks all that have replied. I guess I need to not get hung up on the technical details like I would with a synth purchase.

I just want to second avoiding Floyd Rose tremolo. I made that mistake on my first electric and could literally never figure out how to change strings. Major setback and lost money on the trade.

3 Likes

Many people think that if you’re starting out, any old guitar will do. But it can be really discouraging to have to battle with a bad guitar. Which I would say it’s pretty likely you’ll end up with in that price range. You can find decent guitars for that kind of money, but it’s rare, and you would have to try it, and then actually know what to look for as far as playability and deficiencies. Tall order if you’re a beginner :slight_smile:

As others have stated, the Squiers are a lot of guitar for the money. Maybe try and find a used one?

2 Likes

Yeah, and it’s really not necessary at all for a beginner. Not gonna do loads of extreme tremolo techniques while playing Tom Dooley

1 Like

Re: big name vs budget brand - it’s also my experience that Squier can vary somewhat. Sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re not so good (but never awful). Sometimes they’re surprisingly good (eg the J Mascis Jazzmaster, though that’s toppy for a Squier).

The Yamaha Pacifica became known as the beginner guitar around the time I started (the 90s) because they were so much more consistent than other brands. Yamaha guitars are always good quality and value for money and they were a safe bet.

I couldn’t say if a Pacifica 012 is better than a Squier Affinity Strat right now without trying them, but that’s the kind of level I’d be aiming for.

Re: sound, pickups and so on - it probably doesn’t hurt to have a sense of the style that you like or want to play, and choosing something appropriate to that, but it’s not critical, especially when you’re starting out. A Telecaster style guitar with single coils won’t sound the same as a Gibson style guitar with humbuckers, but they both have six strings and you can play exactly the same stuff on either of them. And you can do a lot with your choice of overdrive or distortion pedal a little further down the line.

It’s important to have something you like the look of, that’ll make you want to pick it up and play it. Everything else can come later.

Edit: reading back, if you’re into heavy doom/stoner stuff then an Epiphone SG Special VE has to be in the mix I think.

4 Likes

I haven’t played guitar in over 15 years, so it’s not that I have a good understanding about the current low budget market situation, but I follow Harley Benton reviews these days, because it seems they are constantly getting better.
Even some of the 200€ models praised and compared to much more expensive brands quality wise.
Not sure what to think about them :thinking:

Maybe someone here has played one of the recent Harley Benton models?

I’ve never seen so many rave reviews for a budget guitar as this one. Granted, I like the look of that pickguard:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/jazzmaster/j-mascis-jazzmaster/0371060541.html

Can be found for under $400 on Reverb.

1 Like

It’s all about the neck. It is not a budget guitar neck, it’s totally different to a regular Squier.

fwiw, i’m not looking down on the guitar or anything by saying “budget”.

Whether I call it “cheap” or “affordable” or what, I guess I can’t please everyone.

No, absolutely, me neither, just pointing out that the J Mascis model is kind of breaking the Squier rules a bit. Wouldn’t be surprised if it outplays a lot of “real” Fenders. Great guitar by all accounts.

Me going outside the box here.

So being that you have time in lockdown, and you’re ready to learn, and you want to save some cash :
:arrow_right:
OK so then really dig in, do your research and get one of the kit electric guitars and build your own axe.

There are lots of kit makers, and you can make your own choices, and learn from your most valuable mistakes, a great way to learn. You’ll be learning just deciding what you want to build. And later if you don’t like the action, or a specific pick-up, or your choice of strings, you’ll know exactly how to change it up.

Some of the kit makers offer support, and good instructions, and very nice guitars. You could look at all the designs and colors of really expensive guitars, and do your own version of them. It will take more wood workIng than electronics to complete, but should be fun.

Maybe this isn’t for you, but I bet someone else reading this, or maybe the guy writing this, will decide this sounds like a fun project and take it on.

1 Like

Buy the best used Yamaha you can afford. Then call around to find a good local guitar shop that will take a look at it, to check if it needs some adjusting. A good shop won’t touch it if it’s set right, but usually charges a modest fee for adjustments; plus strings extra.
The best way to start is with a properly set stick.

6 Likes