Behringer 2600

I know a guy…

1 Like

But it was such a nice photo…

1 Like

Power brick is mounted inside and soldered to the A/C jack (still needs black screws) on the left.

Access to the Portamento and Interval Latch foot switches, 5 pin MIDI DIN, and USB on the right.

I left out the MIDI Thru port since the housing only has 4 ports, plus I don’t need it.

And that 100% concludes the Yellow Tolex Case excursion :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I have a question for you that have bought the Behringer 2600. How satisfied are you with it?

Which are the pros and cons?

I think that Korgs M version sounds amazing but it is a lot if money for that one.

Blue Marvin

pros : Sounds/Feels/Looks amazing, vco2/3-sync/spec, select-able envelope rates, relatively small, illuminated (monochromatic) sliders

cons : 1/4 outs on front could have been on rear, electronic-switch only clocked by internal clock (as og, unlike korg) , spring 'verb sliders could be weighted better for subtle use (gets verby a bit too much on the initial travel of range)

At any price, it’s an insanely good synth (courtesy ARP), at the asking price it’s surely unbeatable … how it compares to any original/clone/remake is academic imho as it’s sublime as it is and other options are far beyond reach

12 Likes

The B2600 is amazing IMO.
Sounds wonderful, full of character, very snappy ENV. Honestly i think its the best mono you can get for the money.

When using my Strymon El Capistan spring reverb with it it sounds very vintage to my hear. The Spring reverb imo make a big difference. The Spring reverb on the b2600 (i have the grey M) is so so but you can use something else if you want. Im pretty sure some peoples prefer the sound of the Korg (when listening to demo) mostly because of the reverb that add a particular character associated with the 2600.

At first i was planning to get the Korg mini version (have the MS20M from Korg and really like it)
but at this price , with the fake nuts (its sad imo) and the missing features (because no
3620 keyboard) : cant switch between legato, retrigger mode (unless it is hidden ?), no dedicated LFO, no dedicated portamento, you have to patch it so loosing the lag voltage processor and multiples) Also the env are more flexible on the B with the multi switch and you can sync OSCs.

5 Likes

So what’s this? Just 1 voice of the 8u module you guys have or am I missing something?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-2600-vco-legendary-analog-vco-module-for-eurorack-000-e5n00-00010

Hi Rob !

No you got that right. It did get in this thread when it was announced. One of the benefits to Behringer, being able to spin off parts of their own design. The 2600 VCO makes sense in a lot of applications, and for Behringer it fits into their large Eurorack line-up, in particular their 2500 modules.

1 Like

It certainly looks great for a little euro rack module @Jukka the larger 8u module looks better value if you can afford the space.

£199.00 for the module and £449.00 for the 8u

Behringer 8u

I don’t have much space, just what spaces I have in the modular case. I’d love the larger one tho it’s good value for money mate.

To be precise, that’s just one Oscillator of the 2600, not a complete voice.

3 Likes

My bad mate. Yeah I like the look of the small module for sure I’ll have to try one out.

1 Like

The regular Christmas Tree 2600, with the digital reverb for me.

Very happy. As noted, by avantronica and sovietpop, for what was done well, and the parts you might wish otherwise but “oh well”. If you are looking for a 2600 thing, this embodiment of it is a very good deal.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers @avantronica, @sovietpop & @Jukka. I really appreciate it!

If I go with the B2600 I will go with the Christmas tree version. But the future will tell if I will buy it. One idea is to buy this now and wait until the korg M drops in price and buy that one. Yeah we will see. But I am with you @sovietpop, fake nuts with that price tag is really off-putting.

2 Likes

I can’t tell you how true to the original it is.

I can tell you that the B2600 does have a magical quality to it. The interactions between oscillators and their modulators have seemingly endless sweet spots to find. The range of good sounding tones is surprising.

Not having seen the Korg Mini ARP in person I can’t be sure, but it seems like the sliders are shorter vs the Behringer one.

I really like what the spring reverb adds to the sound in the Blue Marvin. It’s personal and I’ve seen people say they don’t like it. I personally love the sound of it. It’s dark but it has these organic aftershocks and resonances that just add to the lively-ness of already lively synth.

A downside is that the Behringer doesn’t come with a case. I built one, but it wasn’t any easy task. It’s something to consider (ergonomics are important too). You could always buy a rack case or a custom built option on Etsy or something.

I’ll re-iterate what was said above, this is probably the best mono synth you could buy for the money.

Lastly, you have to consider how you feel about owning a Behringer vs a Korg. If you can put those names aside then I think you’d feel better about the Behringer overall IMO.

10 Likes

that’s the main problem. Otherwise this thing seems to be a total hit

Some of the behringer stuff just sounds superb. This seem to be their best job so far

1 Like

I have watched some videos on both the B2600 and Korg M and Korg M seems to sound just like the Korg FS version which is great. I think that Korg FS/M even sounds better than some original vintage units (just YouTube comparisons) But with that said I think that B2600 has its own vibe.
It sounds more clean and modern even though it can sound raw.
So maybe it’s worth to have both versions.

If I go with the B2600 I am thinking of building my own case, but not as serious build like you did. But at the same time I am open for other options. What address does Etsy have?

Nice work I must say with your tolex case! I like the Swedish colors that you got going on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I posted this upthread but it’s worked out very well for me:

Not nearly as nice as @Airyck’s tolex case, though…

3 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t even think about the fact that they were Swedish flag :sweden: colors. I just imagined that yellow Tolex would look pretty sweet while have some of the retro ARP feel. Went for it and got lucky :wink:

1 Like

Man! You’re insanely good with these things, my friend - the Octatrack risers were perfect for me and my guess that was something you could make up in the sleep. Crazy good!

I got my Marvin brothers together with a bit of other gear in September. It took a while to get them installed due to major studio redesign but they’re finally up now:

Unfortunately, the right one is due to be shipped back to Thomann for fix/exchange of intermittent power issue that sets the midi/cv out of play…

But it’s a beautiful instrument, with great tone!

30 Likes

Damn, that’s how a studio/man cave should look :slight_smile:

4 Likes