Behringer 2600

Thanks.

1 Like

I have just discovered the joy of multiple DT midi tracks controlling the 2600, duo mode = double sequence fun.

I just noticed my Behringer 2600 is tracking for sh#t.
Every octave on the keyboard I move gets about 2-5 cents off.
Am I being too demanding from it?
Has anyone done a calibration?
Would that even help?

If you’ve got the gear and know how it’s deffo worth having a go at calibrating the oscillators. Osc 2 was similar on my Odyssey when I got it. Once tweaked it’s been fine since.

2 Likes

If I were younger it could be called a mid-life crisis, but …
the current sale on the limited edition versions broke my resolve and I just ordered a grey one.

What have I become?

16 Likes

at the current price point it’s sort of a no-brainer

it’s weird how analog monos can be so addictive though (they all just sound so good)

i’ll allow myself to get one once i record an ep’s worth of actual music

1 Like

A patient consumer.

1 Like

This is pretty much the only B product that I still really want to pick up sometime. I’ll need Marvin. I kind of like that there is an Analog Case case for it. I might do s powered suitcase sort of thing with it. Usable in the case.

4 Likes

I like this idea. Airyck did that really nice enclosure for his that he covered in YELLOW tolex !

If you add speakers and an amp, you get somewhere back toward the original.

2 Likes

I’ve built synths into Plasticase Nanuks before. Putting one of these into a case with some actual monitors (maybe 4.5” driver) would be really cool. Might be a bit heavy, but 100% portable.

1 Like

With the spring reverb, the speakers also function for feedback.

2 Likes

The speakers in the original ARP, were oval cones. ( I’m pretty sure. ) Does anyone still make these ? How do they affect ( distort ) the sound ?

1 Like

Yes, they’re still made, and much better than years past. I can’t remember off the top of my head, did the TTSH use round or oval?

I’ll see if I can find out. I want to say they use oval, but maybe not.

Edit: Looks like they went round on at least the new V4 TTSHes.

I know there are some decent oval shape drivers though. I’ve seen them in a project, just can’t remember what :smiley:

Looks like there are some ok-ish ones readily available, but I just thought of something. Instead of free air style in the case, build small sealed speaker spaces into the case. Then one can expect a decent range out of them. Maybe forward porting if the driver works better that way.

Then design a nice little power amp for each side. Split high and low. Doesn’t need to be insane, but having the right volume spaces behind the speakers will make it sound so much less… buzzy…. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could use something like the Dayton DAEX25 powered by a small class D amp and they could turn the entire enclosure into a speaker.

I bought one of the 2600 modules. I like it so much, just bought two more. Cant wait to get them all playing.

2 Likes

The owner of a most excellent synthesizer! The 2600 sounds great and the Meanie looks ace too. I’m sure you’ll be happy with it

1 Like

I’m still on the verge, I still wonder whether there are build quality or sound differences with the korg one to consider. Anybody touched/heard both?

Thomann price is 485 euros here in Germany. Is that the low prices you’re all talking about? (Didn’t follow price evolution)

There will undoubtedly be differences. $600-ish vs. $2000-ish is also a difference.

I haven’t heard the Korg live in my home studio through my monitors. I have listened to demos through the internet at home. They both sound great. I have also listened to the original through the internet at home. It sounds great.

None of them sounded great enough to fork over a mortgage payment. One of them was great enough to fork over a rent payment.

3 Likes

Thanks for the perspective!