Behringer 2600

So i understand that Behringer has decided that in order to make this a more complete clone of the Korg ARP 2600, that they will limit the entire production run to 500 units.

I have this on the best authority. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Don’t get the Behringer snobbishness at the best of times but defo not with this. Fact is the Korg re-issue was limited and is now sold out and was also huge like the origional. If it was still on sale and I could save for a while to get one I would, but its not so I cant, and neither can lots of other people. The Behringer 2600 is a more manageable size and (once its released at least) actually available for people to get their hands on.

3 Likes

I wont be surprised, If Korg comes Out with that rumoured 26k Mini in January 2021…

1 Like

to be fair, some people are fundamentally opposed to the company and their approach to instruments. it’s not snobbishness.

I think it’s great people will have access to this machine, even if it’s not for me. and I think regardless of what people think of B, it’s worth paying attention to this era of synth history. but I digress…

fwiw, the 2600 is really not that big. if we’re talking the unit itself, without the keyboard. I think many will be surprised how big an 8U BARP 2600 actually is. if you have room for that, you have room for the 2600 (sans keyboard). the killer with the Korg was storing the (stupid, in my opinion) road case!

2 Likes

the point of the original, is that it is that size. The layout, the way you play it as a complete instument is the point. The way the osc tuning sliders sweep across their range on those long throw faders for example is just awesome - the best osc tuning ( then adjust with the fine tune ) I’ve ever used on any synth. Plus I agree - it’s not massive - it’s still a fairly compact ‘electronic music studio in a suitcase’ . Not eveything has to be be tiny - tbh I find that a lot with much of the eurorack stuff - it’s just too tiny to interact with often.
These things are musical instruments- the ergonomics of how you interact with them are is as important as the the sound.

4 Likes

100% agree. there’s something about the size and feel that makes you want to play the instrument versus just get it to a sweet spot and leave it.

plus I’ve owned a Macbeth M5N before, so my gauge for what “big” means for a synth is slightly different, haha. that thing absolutely dwarfs the 2600. and it’s basically just a big, empty, steel box. in fact, I’ll bet the 2600 could fit inside!

2 Likes

So the Korg 2600 is 33 inches x 20 inches x 9 inches. What are the Behringer dimensions? Or was it mentioned in the thread somewhere and I missed it?

Edit: Never mind.
I see it’s 19” height x 8” height according to Thomann, I think. It’s like a baby 2600.

it’s 19" wide (rack width) by 8U high. 8U = 14". depth doesn’t really count too much because it’s meant to be racked. but it looks to be about 5" deep, or so.

1 Like

Another dimensional measure:

• 58 Faders
  • 15 buttons
  • 83 Patch cable input / outputs

So not so baby by those measurements.

I have some concern that the density — with all that packed in —may be too much.
I’ll find out, i think it will be OK.

ADDED: Fader length dimension is important too.

If the 2600 is too small…consider this:

https://www.analoguesolutions.com/fusebox

4 Likes

Or find a used Macbeth M5N! Not exactly ARP sounding, but similar approach, and HUGE!!

4 Likes

Is that yours?

No, unfortunately I never picked one up when they were available. Always wanted one though.

I know, i always wanted one too, but couldnt afford, and now i could afford, but Ken doesnt produce them anymore. That is a Synth…doesnt sound like an Arp at all, but very much like Ken.

5 Likes

Building something with that kind of panel space available would be ridiculously freeing and fun. I’m always trying to figure out how to cram more into 4U panels. I’ve made two large panels in the past, but never actually built the synths. :smiley: Luckily one of them went to someone that did build it. The other is still sitting stuffed in the basement, but needs boards and wiring. Still neither were M5 sized. I may have to come up with something that big some day.

3 Likes

Ok, fine. This thread made me buy a s/h Karp Ody module. For my birthday. Tomorrow.
For the price of a 3/4 Barp 2600.
:troll:

7 Likes

That’s awesome, the module is so excellent! I have been playing mine a lot this week, sounds so huge dry that I haven’t even been using effects! You’re going to fall in love with it.

1 Like

posted over at MW: https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0DNJ/2600_QSG_EN.pdf

“NOTE: 2600 uses a digital reverb, while BLUE MARVIN features a real, on-board spring reverb”

and they are trademarking the name “Blue Marvin”: https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome#/tmview/detail/EM500000018120527

for those not familiar, the Blue Marvin was the very early ARP 2600. nick-named after one of the engineers who helped make it. only about 20 were ever manufactured.

4 Likes

Well a version with a real Spring reverb is very very tempting

Looks ok this BARP, but it is a bit on the small side …

6 Likes