Behringer AKS Mini

this is the final design.

it seems like a weird/insane ai prompt, but it’s actually a bolca vcs3 for 99 bucks.

it doesn’t seem to attempt to recapture the mod matrix in this form factor, but one can’t help but wonder how the core sound will compare to the original.

it will supposedly be available this summer- if so i will unfortunately be unable to resist picking one up out of curiosity alone.

Pic from link for info …

Weird to go modern with USB-C and yet stick with DIN MIDI (aot neater 3.5mm) which is plain awkward/obtrusive on these tiny devices … it’s bad enough on their bigger units

2 Likes

Hey, this actually looks better than most of their crap.

3 Likes

yeah lol there have been times when i’ve been tempted to pick up a crave or something and have been just totally turned off by those shutterstock-esque photos on their site.

it sounds superficial (i’m all for cheap gear btw) but their image/branding is just that repulsive.

4 Likes

I’m happy to see DIN MIDIs on anything but especially facing up like on volcas

4 Likes

I think I can hear the shrieks and gnashing of teeth from MW…

Hopefully the matrix is available via software and this isn’t just a few synthi-esque oscillators in a smaller box.

The power button placement is unfortunate, since a real AKS would have a trigger button near the joystick.

I hate it, but will probably get one.

2 Likes

I feel like this really begs the question why even call it AKS to me, the screen printed vernier dial is cute though. Odd to see the oscillator is square wave and saw, given square/triangle or sine/saw are the oscillator combos on the actual device with the sine probably being the standout most interesting one.

2 Likes

Troll-based marketing. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

i feel the same way tbh

also this might be the mentality of the majority of behringer’s target market lol

1 Like

Agreed! At the risk of mean replies, this is actually quite stylish

2 Likes

This synth will never happen, as all of the B gear announced in the last 2 years

And I went and got the Erica Syntrx…

1 Like

iVCS3 40$. Just sayin.

3 Likes

It’s a fun app and definitely worth the price.

1 Like

Its incredible. A mate of mine has it, he’s played a real VC3 a few times and told me the sound of the app is very good.

Ive had the app for a while, very dense synth! Totally worth the money… unlike something else in this thread… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Indeed!

The sound is good, but IMO the glass interface ruins the Synthi experience. Syntrx costs more, but I’ve avoided buying a third iPad since getting the Syntrx and that’s a win. I never just jammed out on iVCS, but often do with the Syntrx.

If you like iPad UX, you will probably like iVCS though.

2 Likes

Yep, the user experience is paramount. I can’t think of a synth where the analog-ness is as pronounced as with the Syntrx but might change my mind if I would get to try the original.

Of course the price is a bit different too compared to the app.

As for the Mehringer Mini I fail to see the point as it really lacks everything that makes the VCS3 concept special.

1 Like

just a few posts in to this thread and their stuff is being described as crap and it gets instantly toxic.

i’m very glad there is a mute button.

4 Likes

i understand why some people hate on behringer (i’m personally ambivalent), but a $100 melodically-oriented vcs3 synth voice that can be easily routed into/sequenced by a digitakt (and takes up almost no space) is pretty enticing for an addition to a minimal setup.

anyone familiar with the real thing knows that what is essentially a volca (nothing against volcas, i love the keys) is not even trying to emulate the actual experience of operating a vcs3.

that app seems cool as hell though, wish they’d make an au/vst version.

1 Like