Behringer Crave

Less than two weeks since I received it and has started to fail, weird noises when using the filter and low volume, I guess something wrong with the VCA/Filter. Lucky me was before the 14 days period so I will just return it .

I am not sad as early next week I will receive a Lyra 8 and a Model:Cycles… :upside_down_face:

You get what you pay for, as they say. :wink:

Cheers!

@JohntheSavage Yeah tell that to some of the Moog One or the Dave Smith Rev2 owners.

You get what you pay for right? Only happens with cheap stuff right. Elektron never had any QC issues either with any of their products right? :wink::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

people are hilarious :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m okay with drawing averages. :wink:

Cheers!

@JohntheSavage Me too. :wink:

ASM Hydrasynth desktop. 1000 bucks and returned it due to QC and firmware issues.
Then I got the Analog Four Mk2, brandnew out of the box it had two sticky buttons. 1400 bucks! You would have thought Elektron would have sorted that out after two years?

Meanwhile, my 180 bucks Crave has zero issues. Same for my Digitakt for that matter.

I guess I get what I pay for right…oh wait…that doesn’t sound right now does it? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey man, you wanna push the issue, okay…

I’ve been a touring musician for 30 years, been at it since I was a teenager, and have learned a lot of lessons in that time. Have I had cheap gear serve me well, and expensive gear let me down… Sure. But anyone thinking that’s just the way it goes, either hasn’t been at it long enough, or they simply choose to believe what they want to believe.

In the real world, you absolutely do get what you pay for. And there’s a big difference between getting a well-built piece of kit with an unlucky problem, and having a cheap piece of sh_t defy the odds.

If you’re well-informed about your purchases and buy pro gear whenever possible, you’ve given yourself a fighting chance. Otherwise, in many respects, it really does come down to luck. To that end, Behringer is notorious… Buyer beware.

Cheers!

2 Likes

And theres a big difference between bugs and component failure.

1 Like

Not sure where you have been the last couple of years, but Behringer synths are built well.

There are no widespread QC issues AFAIK… though the haters will of course attack anything they can to make Behringer look bad.

2 Likes

Years ago (pre-China era), I would totally agree with you! Today… not anymore.

Like it or not, everything is made in China these days. At most, stuff gets assembled in the West for both marketing purposes and to avoid import taxes.

I am not just talking about Music gear alone. I have bought a lot of stuff over the years from well known brands that used to be top notch… not so anymore.

Today, I just look at what I need and if I can find a cheaper alternative that is well build and looks okay to me. I just buy that, since chances are it has the exact same components under the hood as the expensive brand.
Unless there is so little price difference, then I rather buy the known brand for value retention purposes.

And to just jump back to Music instruments, especially Synths! ALL components, PCB’s, etc are manufactured in China… either by one of Behringer’s subsidiaries or Medeli ( ASM’s parent company ), they are also well known and have been building Synths for big brands for years!

Just so you know, well known brands like Dave Smith and even Elektron buy components from Behringer’s subsidiary factories. The exact same components that are now used in Behringer’s own products.

I mean…if we go there. Lets talk about Electric guitars. The fact that Epiphone builds better guitars these days and cheaper! than it’s parent company Gibson… just rest my case.

Prices are not just defined by quality. Expensive doesn’t automatically mean higher quality! On the contrary!
Prices are defined by industry of scale. The more you produce of said product, the lower the manufacturing costs and thus your ability to sell said product at a lower price!

And to put some extra salt on top. Small scale manual electronic manufacturing is much more prone to errors and QC challenges, than large scale fully automated manufacturing! Just saying.

1 Like

Hey, if you’ve got cheap gear working for you, you should hang on to it like grim death. But that won’t fly on the stages I play. If it sounds too good to be true… Ahem!

Cheers!

These are broad and misinformed claims. But I’m not going to argue with you.

Cheers!

These are broad and misinformed claims. But I’m not going to argue with you.

Cheers!

What? Oh, Jesus… I see, we’re 12. Good luck, Gents. I’m out.

Cheers!

1 Like

Cheers!

The build quallity of the crave is quite good, but I guess something got damaged in the insides, maybe through patching but only patch cable I had on at that moment was square osc to ext input. Having said that I will just return it, I already own 0-coast, DFAM and mono station so I am well covered on monosyths.
I also cacelled 2xTD3s I had preordered and bought a Lyra8 and Model:Cycles ( to pair a volca drum) instead.

@Seta Anything could have happened indeed. Stuff just happens sadly. It can happen with any device. At any price. Stuff slips through the QC cracks all the time.

I have had bad luck myself with plenty gear from each side of the spectrum. From cheap to very expensive. Just that it stings a hell lot more when it happens to a piece of very expensive gear! Since your expectations are just a lot higher. :frowning:
Like I mentioned earlier. I was quite dissapointed when I unpacked my brand new Elektron Analog Four Mk2 last week and discovered two sticky buttons and one of the sequencer buttons also makes a crunchy clicking noise when pressed not exactly in the middle.
For a flagship device from Elektron that is on the market for two years now… well what can I say. It happens.

That’s why Pro touring musicians have backups of their most important gear and always carry along at least two (or more) of the same pieces of gear!
I have been to many concerts and with Røyksopp for example, two times I saw their Electric Drum-kit fail during their live shows. Couple mins later, it was replaced by a backup unit and on they went with the show. :slight_smile:
Can give plenty more examples from other concerts where stuff failed during a performance or hell during my own DJing years back in 2002-2008 where stuff failed all the time lol… but I am tired and not going to argue anymore with @JohntheSavage

Just buy the gear from whatever brand you want! Make music! Peace! lol :slight_smile:

Yes, I guess it was bad luck…but I also had bad luck with a Behringer qx1204usb mixer, something to do with the fx that would ouput noise at full power. It was replaced by behringer and now works just fine ( very good value for small set ups). My main reason to return the Crave and td3s is other though. I am going to focus on getting weird/unique hardware synths rather than more traditional ones. Lyra 8 and Model:Cycles fit what I am looking for right now. I would have loved a td3 ten years ago, now I preffer what my 0-coast or DFAM ( inside a 6U104hp eurorack case)can give me, the mono station is more traditional but just for the sequencer is worth buying.
I would have kept the Crave if it had not failed as it pairs DFAM well ( mother 32 clone)but as I can just return it I will do so, I had spent quite a lot of money in the last month’s, this needs to stop…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

First experience))))

1 Like

:sunglasses:

1 Like