Behringer Crave

I watched this earlier. Very good comparison, that mostly just shows the moog has a smoother sound but there are so few differences. Seems the Crave has a digital env.

I’m really considering getting one, you can pick them up for £140-160 brand new. I can’t help feeling it’s too good to be true though. I wanted the 32, I didn’t even realise this was a clone of anything.

Any experiences, thoughts?

Nice comparison. It’s already been posted in this thread though, so if you go back like 50 post you can read what people had to say about it.

1 Like

Is Crave really so weak in terms of Midi control? Trying to find out how to change VC Mix from my DT, seems to be no chance to achieve it?

of course but in order to make it work you have to assign the Assign Output to a CC message which can be controlled by your machine…patch Assign out to VC mix in to make it work

1 Like

Thanks! Assign -> CC didn’t work for the first time so I thought It was intended for some other things. Tried it again and worked!

P. S. A question though - is there any chance to CC more than one knob anyhow?

of course, you can multiply the Analog signal coming out of the Assign out to use it for different inputs.
other than that I think it’s just one CC message that is assignable

1 Like

does someone know if it’s possible to engage the global ratcheting on all trigs to be permanent on the grid?

it’s more like a performance thing and once you release the shift key on the crave the pattern is back to normal values.

same with Accent, rest and hold

basically a latch for this mode

Just got one of these. What a beautifully simple machine it is. Amazing value. Can’t wait to utilise the patch bay.

1 Like

How are people liking there’s now that it’s been a while? I had to sell my mother 32, I’ve briefly played with one but didn’t have enough time to really get an impression.

for those interested, Oversynth has some new overlays for the Crave:
https://www.oversynth.com/behringer-crave-overlays

4 Likes

Wow, what a difference!

I’m thinking of pairing the Crave with my Digitakt and Keystep for some knob-twiddling techno fun.

I really like that it’s one-knob per function and the kind of “entry-level” patch bay it has. Seems like you can come up with some interesting noises on the fly.

The only thing that’s stopping me is the Behringer Pro-1. It sounds gooooorgeous and I love the extreme modulation capabilities it has.

Maybe I should just get both.

Which would you guys choose?

1 Like

Prob more scope with the Pro 1 with its extra oscillator and mod routings. The Crave looks like lots of fun with its built in sequencer but I’d be looking at using a DT midi track to sequence as again, you’ve got more scope.

If you’re wanting something with patch points that’s not too expensive and sounds good you could try the Neutron?

2 Likes

x4 Behringer Crave

Like this one :+1:

2 Likes

Like those brassy tones in the first vid.

2 Likes

+1 for for Crave sized/featured Volcas. Imagine Volca FM opened up to this extent :open_mouth:

Can Crave’s sequencer send CV/gate through the patchbay i.e. can I sequence other semi-modular with it? Or is it just a MIDI-CV converter through those patch points - I think I’ve read this previously.

[EDIT] After more reading I think Crave sends sequencer information via MIDI thru/out (Behringer Crave – Synthesiser Dave)

and passes MIDI in to the kb cv & gate outputs (the loopop video I think)
But then patch notes on this video say crave sequences 0-coast via those patch outputs (https://youtu.be/l946-PrWkeI)

The manual doesn’t exactly say…?

Is the Crave already the “Raspberry PI” of synth (Everyone has at least one but seldom uses it :thinking:).

sold it.

My only Mini Mono is the Pico System 3 which is really unique and greatly experimental!

it has a really complex oscillator and waveshaping possibilities and a really satisfying „click“ sound when you insert a patchcable, overall the patchpoints are really thought out in detail and you‘re constantly adding sounds when starting to patch it, Buchla like movement and click clack patches, function behavior is where it excels!

It fills this Analog modular blipblop hole between the OP1 and Z and makes it great for sampling those textures.

Paired my Crave with the FX from the Korg NTS. Great little, cheap combination!

3 Likes