Behringer Crave

Hi, I have a small setup that I love which consists of a Elektron Digitakt and Digitone with a Keystep. I’ve been looking for a TB303 clone or sort and have researched the Behringer TD-3, Roland Boutique TB-03 and TT Cyclone and have yet to decide as I’m not sure I like the original sequencer of the 303 (watched some vids).

However someone mentioned a Behringer Crave which I’d never heard of that can do very similar bass lines and much more.

Anyone used one or is it too close to what the Digitone can do? It’s only a little more in price that their 303 clone so it’s interesting.

Thanks

What ?
How ?
Really ?

If you really want an analog 303, and with the Digitone need no sequencer, consider this:
http://www.mam-germany.de/mb33-manual/

1 Like

Apparently people have made acid patches for the digitone (there might even be one among the presets, but I can’t remember). Did you check those?

The digitone is very capable for gnarly bass sounds, so I’m not sure the crave would add too much. It boils down to your taste really.

1 Like

i love the crave. i used to use my digitone to sequence all my synths but now i use the 8 digitakt midi tracks to sequence my Take-5 Polysynth, my Malekko Manther mono lead synth, and my Crave bass synth. So i have each voice up and running live, sequenced via elektron midi tracks and ultimately being mixed in the octatrack. and that’s almost a perfect setup for me.

but yeah, Crave is an incredible bass voice. I liked the model d, but it goes out of tune way too often and the crave sounds fatter and cleaner to me. just all around a very nice rich analog voice to use for bass tracks. i like the fm option, i love the filter, i really like the dedicated envelope filter mod so i can dial in the exact amount of envelope modulation to pull up the freq cutoff on each note. the envelope is very nice and snappy but also the way the sustain works alongside the decay when switched on is very organic and almost lpg-like. plus if you want to use patch cables, you can get a wide timbral range from using audio rate modulation on things like filter cutoff using the vc mix param or osc fm

it can also do more than just bass. i think this is the video that finally sold me on it, other than the fact that i just needed a model d-esque synth that stayed in tune:

the digitone is a good synth but it cant sound like that. its the perfect bass synth imo, if you need a dedicated bass synth

1 Like

I’ll look that up, I use samples on the Digitakt, atm but not the same.

Great reply!

I love the 1990s acid/303 scene which I grew up in. I currently download 303 samples to the Digitakt, but they are other peoples patterns so I wanted to look at created my own. So I’ve been researching options and I’m on a path to decide on which one to get and someone mentioned a Crave can get very close to a 303 and so much more for a little more than the Behringer TD-3. I see the TD-3 Mo is out soon too.

1 Like

im not a big fan of the 303 sound, but yes when you bring the resonance to about 12, it gets very acid sounding. i’d imagine it’s perfect for that

anyone know can you edit the sequence (note / tie / accent / slide) while the sequencer is running?

[Edit: you can. awesome. just found it]

1 Like

Has anyone implemented the Crave into a digitakt/digitone/octatrack setup where BPM, sync and notes via midi are possible. Would like to control the Crave with one of the three and do not get it right now. The only thing is that it starts when I start the digitakt for example. But the Crave is then not temposyncron and I can not control it with the miditriggers to play e.g. melodies. Thanks in advance

1 Like

I’d be interested in how folks have got on with linking the Crave to an Electron sequencer as well please

1 Like

Me too