Behringer Neptune - Roland Juno 6 / 60 clone

Yes, but if they did that, they wouldn’t be B. They don’t make things better, just cheaper.

1 Like

yeah. their other stuff doesn’t offend my eye as much as this does though. e.g. i love my TD-3 - a cheap plastic clone of something that was cheap and plastic anyway is fine. and of course the Model D takes the visual style of the Moog but obviously looks nothing like it due to the form factor. the Juno is a work of art, it’s built so nicely, this makes me sad

1 Like

I think a lot of their stuff funnily looks like a toy version of the original. I mean just the style, the colors chosen. Not judging the sound, I actually think most of their stuff sounds great

1 Like

Yes, this and juno, disproportion is to much haha

yeah i’m not one of those weirdos who gets all red and mad online about Behringer, i think it’s great that they’ve made all these classics accessible and they do sound great. i’m not even bothered if they “nail it” in terms of sonic accuracy, getting into the ballpark is enough for me

I can confirm that. the take is really a nice-sounding synth, but it’s a shame that there isn’t a desktop version for non-keyboard players.

This is where i disagree with you ( not being red and mad :smiley: ), thay didnt. They didnt made classics accessible. Saying that as an ex juno 60 owner haha. They made ugly clones accessible. But then again, clones can not be made “accessible”, its an oxymoron :slight_smile: accessible clone

2 Likes

you’ll have to prize my TD-3 from my cold, dead hands! it makes me happy every day

1 Like

Don’t care how it looks, if it sounds like Juno. But it won’t.

Can Anyone with electronics insights explain why Bs choice of components just don’t have the same bass weight as the 70s/80s machines? (Citing td3s sound as predicted lack of bass presence for the Juno clone)

…to use their actual marketing claim…GROUNDBREAKING!

yeah, sure…can’t be anything less than that, if they say so…
well, we will see, errrr, hear in one or two years…

while for sure, the world needs another fake classic synth with a another huuuge but cheap clunky keybed for their bedroom…

1 Like

Sorry, actually i was looking to buy one :slight_smile: and 808 909 :grin: but i have a4 and rytm so it is ease to resist.

Doesn’t quite fit the same ‘mould’ but you can still pick up a Mutable Instruments Ambika for a decent price on the used market - most of them have the SMR4 voice cards which essentially makes it a Juno (but with some super powers).

It has multiple outs and can do multi-timbrality as well as 6 voice polyphony, it’s a great box to pair with an Elektron!

1 Like

Agreed that it looks extremely “great value” even compared to their other designs but honestly I don’t get the hate in this thread. Every behringer clone I’ve tried has been cheap, has felt surprisingly decent in terms of build quality, and has sounded pretty damn good. They’re not the prettiest instruments but honestly I think most of em don’t look all that shabby. Yeah sure you can complain about copying designs and all that but I dunno, I like the option of being able to indulge in something physical that captures the character of an unobtainable instrument, even if it’s not 100% spot on. I get not liking the company for other reasons, but in terms of the products themselves I think people just like complaining.

2 Likes

really? i usually hi-pass my TD-3 around the fundamental to get it to sit in the mix. sounds bassy enough for me (as does every other analog synth i’ve ever used)

I would assume being a prototype, the visual design is yet to be sorted. It definitely needs tightening for sure.

I wonder how it compares both to the originals and the Roland Ju06a?

I used to have a Juno 60, got it for £250 with a free Transcendent 2000 the seller had stashed in the attic and added it to the deal as i was enthusiastic about the synth. This was back in the early 90’s. I sold it for £250 as well, only seemed fair.

i got the Ju06a a few years back and that thing is amazing. Very cute little box. I think thats a worthy alternative to the Neptune. I wonder how different the prices will be?

I’ve owned a few Behringer products over the years, all from the late 90’s though, and pretty much everything broke immediately or very quickly. They always had a mysterious piece of plastic rattling around in them after a day or two :joy: still, it happens. I made the decision not to buy their stuff long ago as just wasted money in the mid-term.

I do think though they are the perfect company to make clones, this is pretty much what they have been doing in some capacity since i can remember.

A mate of mine is selling his Juno6 and getting a Ju06a. Interesting.

I’d definitely use my Ju06a waaaay more if it was bigger. I normally always go to a bigger synth over the Ju06a. Sounds the same, doesn’t get used the same. Something A-Bs rarely pick up on. Nothing gets used in a sound only vacuum.

It could be a great way to get a Juno sound in a synth size format, if you don’t mind living with the questionable Behringer rep.

Obviously i wont be getting one, but neither would i pay £4k for a Juno60 :exploding_head: (wow they really are crazy expensive)

Also, for what it’s worth, and different doesn’t mean bad at all, but I had a go on my mates TD3, and was surprised how different it was to a TB303. They sounded really close online.

It can sound great. I think I’m spoiled by using a tb and knowing how much sub weight there should/could be. Or like tbs all the tds sound a bit different and I got a weak one.

Maybe if they throw away the keybed and change the position of he neptune60 logo, maybe the size too, it could be a bit more appealing…

My sarcasm meter might be off today, but just in case :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Exactly my point! You nailed it! Xaxaxaxaxax
Now it just needs a price reduction and its a B clone

1 Like

Has Behringer even released anything in the last few years? I keep seeing these vapoware announcements but haven’t seen anything concrete in a long time.

4 Likes