Behringer PRO-800

See, now this is the kind of answer I need as a T5 owner. Settled, I gotta have both!

2 Likes

Shit, even a $50 Valhalla reverb would make it sound great.

1 Like

Thatā€™s reassuring to know. That seems to be the way membrane buttons are done now. A lot of the equipment I work with has to be used with potentially wet hands and thatā€™s the same. Tact switches on a PCB behind a plastic/lexan type front ā€˜panelā€™. Not sure if thereā€™s other B stuff with that sort of arrangement or whether Klark or any of the other MT brands use something similar? Shouldnā€™t be a big deal to implement either way?

2 Likes

Honnestly if itā€™s like medical pro equipment, thatā€™s fine.
Itā€™s one of the reason why I would not buy this one !
I had in the past few stuff with membrane, and they were shitty as possible, but does not cost 600$

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve had plenty of issues with those old school membrane switches. The keybed in the Poly 61 I had had them as key contacts (ironically as did the original Prophet 600 and later rev SCI Pro One).

Iā€™m no manufacturing expert but itā€™s possible that the tact switch option might be the more cost effective way of doing things? Iā€™m thinking the cost of tooling, the different layers of conductive/non conductive materials req etc for one of those old style membranes where as tact switches are ubiquitous and must be fractions of a penny per unit for a company like Behringer? That would tie in with what @DimensionsTomorrow had read. I guess it all boils down to cost and projected sales?

Yeah Behringer is all medical grade. Even the plastic stuff. Not weapons grade but still. The pots arenā€™t bolted on the mono modules though, which makes them a little fragile ā€” I broke a pot on mine.

I must halve lucked out. I dropped my RD8 but only bent a pot shaft. It took a hefty whack though

1 Like

Yeah I dropped my pro 1 several times before it happened, from about 5 feet. The pursuit of ergonomics is a dangerous one. Iā€™m still trying to figure out what the potentiometer replacement for the Pro 1 polymod is and where to get it.

1 Like

It might be worth checking out the RD mods online. Thereā€™s lots of info over there along with photos. You canā€™t be the first person looking to replace one of their pots. There a good chance they use the same brand (maybe in house?) across similar stuff but with different values to suit?

That said if you can desolder it off the board youā€™d just be able to spec a new one to suit as long as the pin out and wings match

1 Like

And order two. Theyā€™ve got to be cheap enough to be worth having a spare, and are likely used in other spots too.

Dropping equipment 5 feet several times, would stress mil-spec as well.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. I hadnā€™t even thought about the purpose for membrane buttons being about protecting from liquids. Totally makes sense for medical equipment, especially if you need to keep things sterile.

I found a quote from Behringer about these being used in medical equipment, but canā€™t find anything official from them about tact switches underneath. I did find several quotes from people saying thatā€™s how modern membrane switches work though, so maybe I am misremembering that being confirmed by Behringer (although it could be that I just canā€™t find the quote again, I feel like I saw something from them saying they wanted to recreate the look, but they are modern buttons.).

Still though, if these are used in modern medical equipment, I would assume that they are very durable, and I imagine Behringer must be sourcing them from some manufacturer supplying for medical equipment, rather than recreating something, which makes me think it will be the modern design.

!

FWIW, this was also discussed under Behringerā€™s quote there:

Also, this:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been searching Prophet 600 videos to get a feel for what sounds might be expected from the PRO-800, and this popped up in my feed today. Lovely vibe.

Almost a Twin Peaks feel to this.

3 Likes

If it sound like this one, it could be lots of fun.

Sounds good.

7 Likes

Sounds really good. They are gonna sell a ton of these. I love the soft, nostalgic tones I hear from the P600/800. Iā€™m glad they started their poly lineup with this one.

3 Likes

I keep toying with the idea of a deepmind but I might hang fire for this to come out instead

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m wondering which will come first, this or the Solina?

Have Behringer given any ideas about the price for this?

Info is in the description on the YouTube vid

3 Likes

I suspect theyā€™ll both land around the same time, a bit like they did with the other post Neutron modules. I wonder if thereā€™s a shared part between them thatā€™s been holding up the show? Maybe a processor etc?

Either way Iā€™ve got some pedals ready to plug this into!

1 Like