Behringer RD-9

I figured it out. It’s the cables I am using from interface output to my headphone amp (audio labs monitor). I somehow was using cheap Roland cables and at 33% volume there’s noise. I swapped them out for a spare pair of Mogami cables and now I can hit 90% on my headphone amp before hearing audible noise.

Lesson learned that you can track with regular cables but if you are using a mastering grade headphone amp you will need to use better cables to go louder with your sessions.

1 Like

Answers

7 Likes

Your results video is great!! It was cool to learn about the circuits and how those subtle differences influence the sound — I’m sure I had that master filter on my mind when you went back through the sound samples but it does seem audible.

Do you know how the Roland TR-09 sound compares to these? I know it’s a bit apples to oranges but in terms of the different revs you mentioned and the master filter, did Roland bring some of those elements back in their own boutique reissue?

1 Like

Not my video. It was posted by someone else on Gearspace. I have the TR-8S and from the sound they do try to emulate the Rev 2 on that 909 model as well.

1 Like

Gotcha, all good to know. I don’t own any of these products but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the TR-8S sound. And for the record, the RD-9 sound is plenty good in those video comparisons, just maybe a slight hint of high frequencies coming through in the decay of some sounds. Good excuse as any to invest in an Analog Heat and roll off those highs.

In stock at the moment at bax-shop.

1 Like

My ownership of the TR-09 and RD-9 didn’t overlap but I can safely say … you can make them sound practically the same. The difference is the RD-9 can sound less like a 909 as it has more and wider-ranged parameters.

4 Likes

This gentleman produced a great couple of videos with great information. I didn’t know about the filters Roland had used for digital noise from the control board.

And now decades later, B has managed to produce what is, arguably, an improved 909. Such a feat is impressive.

2 Likes

Exsiderurgica’s RD-9 through some Euro processing.

3 Likes

Same goes for the RD-8, this guy is spot on :+1:

So true @3.30 and @3.50 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

TR-8S is a beast… since I have it I see new drum machines coming out with relative indifference. The RD-9 is fine as a specialized unit, but there is so much more…

3 Likes

I had the TR8s when it first came out, I liked it very much but now it has FM which makes me wanna buy it again at some point :+1:

1 Like

Love the sound of the RD-9 @Bunker the onboard filters and stuff I won’t use because I use all the outputs in to the mixer and when you do that the internal stuff doesn’t work. No big deal tho :+1:

1 Like
4 Likes

I hook up the main out for whatever I’d like to send via the shaper+filter. I send toms there by default.

It’s ideal for tribal drums or rumbles (once it’s effected).

I wish it had two filters! I’d love another to dedicate to hats.

Are you filtering these drums in the eurorack?

1 Like

Hi mate, no I haven’t got enough modules yet to do anything with euro rack I just feed all the RD-9 individual outputs to a Yamaha 01v96i and process the sounds there. It’s great because I can have different scenes stored in the mixer with fader/fx settings for any set.
I will probably filter the drums in euro rack when I have more modules though. Some really nice fx on the mixer.

3 Likes

Nice one @Bunker been messing about with my RD-9 doing some old stuff I originally remixed back in 94/95
Might make a full track when I have time but the RD-9 is feeding into the Yamaha 01v96i here then in to Logic.

1 Like

Cool! I like that sort of stuff Rob. Bit of LNR in there! I liked the way it sounded like it was going after that breakdown.

1 Like

Yeah I did a white label remix back in the day, found the acapellas on an old Omega Drive I had from an Akai S3000xl whilst hunting old gear at my old ladies house lol.
The RD-9 sounds great processed though mate via the individual outs. When I get time I’ll be doing some old housey stuff mate.

1 Like