Behringer RD-9

Another good comparison video between the RD-9 and TR-909 rev3

2 Likes

Here is a live Jam from my Friend Moe and me, where the Drums mostly come from the RD-9

3 Likes

Does anybody know of any good replacement knobs for the RD-9? I find them a bit slippy and the red marker isn’t the easiest to see.

Anyone know what the width of the RD9 is without the side panels and can they be removed? Is it open or closed at the sides?

Would like one but would like to sit it on a sliding shelf in my rack which is too narrow for the full width of the rd9.

Scroll up to Dec ‘21 where theres some discussion and dimensions

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer!
Def looks to big for where I was thinking to put it.

1 Like

They are truly awful. Every time I feel tempted to buy one, I go to a store and feel the buttons again because “they can’t be that bad”, but they really are.

They look like they’re around the same size as Cherry switches, but the main issue is whether or not there is enough clearance between the board and the top panel in order to replace them correctly. If I can find one secondhand for cheap I might attempt it.

I don’t find them too bad tbh. They work reliably, look ok and for the price I don’t think I can complain much. Are they as nice as Elektron’s clicky buttons? No. But I find them better than the model’s soft buttons. I’d love to be able to replace them and knobs too though.

1 Like

There are no replacements , but you could buy a nava 909 clone , real 909 or other clones
Changing the rubber pad / method they work into something mechanic could be hard.
Many think behringer gear is disposable cheap trash so you could just throw it away.
Personally If it’s a problems either sell it or use another sequencer ( though it’s not as ergonomic)

I think what makes them annoying is that they look like they’ll be mechanical keys. If they were fully silicon buttons like on the Model series, there wouldn’t be that expectation that they’ll have a nice travel like on mechanical switches.

If it cost an extra $100 to have mechanical switches, I’d consider it worth the price.

3 Likes

I think they’re a tact switch underneath a rubber type membrane. I don’t think you’re gonna find a mechanical switch with a matching footprint/pinout. Plus you have the SM LED’s to consider.

Kailh low-profile switches might work. They also have a space for an LED to sit/shine through to a keycap. The stock choc keycaps would be too wide but the existing caps could possibly be modified with a 3D printed insert.

Now I’m tempted to pick one up just so I can see if modification is possible.

Sorry can’t help with the button dilemma, but wanted to warn you.

This place is like the Hotel California- you can never leave.

So live it up, and good luck.

1 Like

Does anybody know why the kick from the individual out sounds so much better than from the main out? (All Fx switched off)

The signal doesn’t go through the FX/comp when you use the individual out, it’s tapped off before then so I can only assume it’s either that or the final summing mixer stage?

The difference is huge. The individual out gives a massive thump. The mix out sounds tiny in comparison.

1 Like

I just use the individual outs on that and the RD8 in to the mixer so I can say I’d noticed beyond the higher level on the individual out. Aren’t individual outs brilliant? :rofl:

The RD-9 step buttons have no tact switches, it’s just a rubber membrane sheet which presses on PCB contacts Behringer RD9 Modifications – maffez synth mods

The RD-8 did have tactile switches under the rubber step buttons, though.

1 Like