Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

could have already happened. the way the volume pot is over on the right etc looks like they may have been forced to change up the layout a bit.

1 Like

Most probably they’re produced by Hanpin. Hanpin has different models, weaker ones called OEM and high-torque motor ones called Super OEM and this can not be a Super OEM model with this price. This is not a new product (2016) by the way.

They totally missed the point of “chasing a ghost”, which means they should let go of the past and not fear to produce something new and better. If they had some new drum machines, which is kind of similar to 808-909-606 but also has their own character and not like a replica, that would be "not chasing a ghost.

2 Likes

i get this feeling a lot looking at them. not to knock them at all but there is something can’t put my finger on it :thinking:

uncanny valley

2 Likes

The layout is a bit ugly but guessing from the positioning of the logo they thought this may let them ditch a possible lawsuit. Roland patented the layout, especially leaving the upper right and left corner empty and the control knobs on the top-center. Also the black parts of the layout on Behringer TD-3 are not the same with TB-303, it’s also intentional. The codename TD-3-SR (SilveR) suggest there will be a Black version with the codename TD-3-BK. The name TD doesn’t make much sense at first as an abbreviation, RD-8 has the meaning of Rhythm Designer, so TD can mean Transistor-bass Designer at the best. I think they chose “D” because phonetically it sounds like TB, the other option would be TP-3.

3 Likes

I think they would sell a lot more units if they left the Behringer logo off of the front.

1 Like

I’ve an Elektron sticker just waiting to take its place :wink:

2 Likes

About chasing ghosts…back when Roland put on the Aira events I went to the one in Atlanta and they talked about the story of the 808, 303 and said that they were basically failures selling less than 10k units or something like that. They went back to some of the original engineers to bring in to work on Aira and they said something like they put their heads down and shook them as if they were ashamed.

So tie that in with Japanese culture, or any Asian culture really, and the whole notion of saving face. Maybe, it’s more than a ghost and essentially like chasing a failure.

Who knows…but honestly bringing back analog x0x is exactly what they need to do. I wanted to pickup an RD8, but after hearing some of the demos I’m on the fence. Not only for sound, but build quality. Classic Behringer.

3 Likes

A really strange omission since they copied almost everything else, would have made it more interesting.

The sync in and what looks like settable ppq might yield some interesting wonk when purposely sending in clock at other rates than it is expecting.

Still, Behringer, still not for me.

1 Like

Kids these days are all about saving seagulls from choking on discarded batteries.

1 Like

Hopefully they’ve tested clock/tigger in from rd8 , it doesn’t play nice with their ms1 , and triggering the sequence to advance based on a trigger (eg cowbell) is one of the more interesting/used methods … and it doesn’t work.

I hope it’s ok, I may even buy one, my tt303 works well but I could make a drone album by just touching the volume encoder.

I own a Boog and I love it. The only cons with it is that the master tune is not perfectly tuned. When the master tune is in tune it is slightly to the left and not in the middle as you expect. And it was a bit wobbly, but I fixed it. Other than that it’s amazing, the built quality is great. Great feeling and resistance on the knobs and a sturdy construction.

Never been a fan of the squelchy acid sounds. I realize a 303-related thread might not be the smartest place to say that. Please don’t kill me. But I absolutely love the TM404 and Cortini 303 projects. I can listen to random ABL3 lines through a spring reverb plugin for days.

3 Likes

:boom::facepunch:t3::smile:

5 Likes

Will this offer cc implementation? Judging from their other synths I wouldn’t guess so, but I’m hoping they do.
I sequence my monologue and cc the eg decay and eg int to offer some interesting (to me) patterns.

Holy crap lol. This is going to be the best Volca ever

6 Likes

The quality isn’t bad, it’s just big and not as pretty as it could be. It’s not at the level of their rackable analogue remakes (which are really pretty excellently done in terms of build quality), but it’s also not crap.

…not only design, but music too!?
tsk tsk

[love Flow Coma]

i fell down an acid hole… 10/10 would do it again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Have a Boog and it’s dope. Don’t care about looks. I just wanted the sound to be better. IDK it’s cheap so might give it a shot.