Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

@darenager sorry if it came accross that way. I was legitimatly curious about the source, not trying to catch you out.

@re5set I guess we don’t discuss best color of patch cords on account of not perceiving any difference. It’s perfectly reasonable to compare two synths based on the same synth, even if it isn’t productive. But common, it’s Saturday and its time to chew the fat here on the forum! :smile:

I mean, Akai Dan did try to warn us.

2 Likes

Akai Dan for president.

my friend sends me a photo of him randomly every few weeks. :smile:

2 Likes

No worries @RobertSyrett I didn’t take it that way :+1:

I don’t tend to get too emotional over synths, I prefer dealing with facts as far as possible, I definitely don’t get it right all the time though, as is possibly the case here.

3 Likes

Yeh , maybe I’m in a mood
I’m on forums too much and sometimes I react against some of the discussions which to me seem silly but i appreciate others could find interesting or are just wasting time and posting just as I am on a rainy Saturday night.

I need to get out more , use forums less and actually use the gear I’ve got.

I prefer white midi leads.

7 Likes

I can use the TD-3 standalone and the ABL-3 on the computer, which by the way is sounds way better than TB-03. And still have money left for an extra TD-3 if I want too

1 Like

That’s the crazy part! The TB-303 used to be the affordable synth you could get a couple of for your live rig. Now we can return to those halcyon days.

That is the point!! I would never pay 3000€ for a 303, not even 400€ for a clone. That money buys you a Model-D, or an 0-coast to name a few, way more complex synths.

A synth like a 303 is as simple as it can get, so 150€ is a fair price. Actualy a bit expensive if you compare it to the behringer crave.

Does not sound like the original and I could not care less about that, but I think some of the patterns in Loopop video would have been pretty close with a little filter adjustments.

I love how bubbly a TB-303 can sound with the filter fully cut off, but is just not worth that money. 3000€ buys you a whole eurorack case full of nice toys

1 Like

Hmm, on paper the 303 is simple, yet cloning it successfully doesn’t seem to be.

I agree with your earlier comment about ABL3 sounding great, definitely one of the best recreations, and it is not even analog! :smile:

I paid £45 for my first 303, £60 for the second, £450 for the 3rd, £650 for the 4th, £190 for the 5th, the first 2 are long since gone, I personally would not pay todays prices for one, but I can totally see why people do - it is a classic machine that sounds wonderful.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m personally just not a big fan of using piano roll on a computer (it was the way I started making music but it also wasn’t very inspiring) its nice that the option is there.

1 Like

I’m wondering how much overlap/difference there will be between the the TD 3 and the crave? Both have ladder filters although I’m assuming the TD has the 18dB diode filter and the crave has a 24dB transistor ladder. Different oscillators too… I’d imagine the crave has a wider palette.

I wish they would’ve redesigned this thing without that fekkin’ resonance knob.

Horrible sound. … just awful …

1 Like

The crave is like a mother 32, I may probably get one to play along my DFAM. Lots of patch ideas between the two on the internet.
The TD-3 is good for acid; to me it sounds acid. I grew up in 90´s London squat rave parties so I have always liked that kind of sound.

Both TD-3 and TB-303 have 24db filters. Tb303 is often quoted as 18db, it is just a “badly design” 24db one…:sweat_smile:

The crave is more complete, the TD-3 emulates a classic sound

2 Likes

I’ve ordered my one

Will put him in the cupboard next to the 12" of Voodoo Ray

Then wait for the clever folk to abuse it

1 Like

By abuse I mean mod haha

2 Likes

Not the same but pretty close. It just does not have that lovely bubbly feeling (4:55 vs 7:23) but otherwise very well done. I am sure at some settings some people would fail a blind test.

2 Likes

We really need an expert audiophile who was really there to chime in and tell us if the TD sounds up to scratch

17 Likes

I haven’t seen any of these demos showing any utilization of the patch points. Can any one point me to any? Curious to see the crazy and weirdness that it’s capable of. I’m preordering the Crave and am excited to patch crave and td3 with my neutron.

it’s just a different approach of programming a Synth recreation, but if programming is involved it’s 100% virtual Analog! otherwise Roland had sourced Analog parts and all their clones where just Analog, Analog in terms of Oscillation with Control Voltage and the structure you need for that.

It’s a bigger difference compared to VA vs FPGA.
Roland is just chasing the modern Marketing Ghost and Behringer does everything right for now. They heard the community’s.

1 Like

wow! Glad I’m a xoxbox owner so I don’t need to participate in this “sounding worthy” discussion. But I’d take the inaccurate RD-8 sound any day over the TR-08’s tinny and sibilant sound. There are more variables to sound quality than just producing identical scope traces I guess.

3 Likes

Same here. I think the TD and the crave could play well together. Although the 303 squelch is well known (and loved) it should also do less “in your face”… which is where I’d prefer it. Can’t wait to hook them up to the RD for some old skool fun!