Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Of course this thread has just devolved into folks bashing Behringer while hyping how hand-made and filled with love other clones are, for the TRUE discerning synthesist. Stay on topic, this shit has been hashed out a million times across the internet. Check this Mr. Firechild video featuring the TD instead.

8 Likes

I really hope the glide can be adjusted.

That vid is awful Iā€™m sorry to say

8 Likes

RE303 is ā‚¬1100 assembled though. Ouch. Maybe Avalon is a better option.

My god.

Thatā€™s a great price. But I feel like it always takes forever for Sweetwater to get products that were preordered. Iā€™ll still preorder from there though Iā€™m sure.

Itā€™s definitely weird, not the greatest sounding, but crucially it is actually related to this threadā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t believe it has, I think that it is quite reasonable to discuss the TD-3 in comparison to the alternative options - after all it is being sold as a clone of a classic synth, right? Now everyone is going to have different expectations and indeed different priorities and some will be ok with a cheaper less accurate option, whilst some will be prepared to spend more for something better, it is great that plenty of options exist, but it is daft to think you are getting a RE-303 for Behringer money, and that is why they probably wonā€™t have much impact on each others sales.

I already said the TD-3 sounded better than I expected it to, so Iā€™d hardly call that bashing it.

4 Likes

Whoever made that must really hate Behringerā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

They seem to have officially lowered the retail price! They are now Ā£99 in the UK!

Preorder only - Jan 15th delivery :-

4 Likes

I think the pricing wasnā€™t fully set in stone on Friday.

Ā£99 now, really? I will cancel my Thomann order in the morning then and wait.

You donā€™t know how accurate the TD is to the original in terms of circuits versus the RE, youā€™re just speculating. Also, itā€™s not cheaper because itā€™s less good than the RE or less accurate, itā€™s cheaper due to economy of scale and in-house manufacturing that B has access to. The RE isnā€™t better BECAUSE it costs more money. Iā€™m certain that the Behringer is quite accurate in terms of circuits and parts used, they have the ability and means without question. Iā€™m sure that the Midas engineering team is up to the ā€œchallengeā€, itā€™s a very simple synthesizer. Maybe you remember that theyā€™re also reproducing the CS-80ā€¦

Ordered Ā£99 no brainer

Behringer TD-3 Analogue Bass Line Synth

1 Like

Actually Iā€™m just using my ears, I am very familiar with the TB-303, having 3 of them currently as well as a few other clones.

Of course it is cheaper because of economies of scale, and cheap overseas labour (even though most of the build is pick and place automated)

My point was that it sounds ok, but it is not good enough for me, if you like it then great, I donā€™t know why some people spend $4000 or more on a compressor, but it is up to them, my compressor is a cheap RNC and it does what I need, but I donā€™t for one second think it is going to sound like a $4000 compressor, because you get what you pay for, mostly.

It is a very simple synth which relies on everything being correct, to sound how it sounds, Iā€™m not the only one saying it does not sound correct. On casual listen it sounds similar, but the knob range, resonance and slides do not sound correct, Midas or not.

ā€œ The RE isnā€™t better BECAUSE it costs more moneyā€
No it is better because it is better in every way as a clone.

5 Likes

I think the chasing the ghost bit is about moving forward in some way. Behringer is making remakes of classics using old technology, Roland is investing in new technologies even if they are cloning old devices with it currently. Investing in new tech is probably smarter in the long run while investing in old tech is smarter in the short run.

Ah well darenager no worries, I understand then where youā€™re coming from as an owner of 3 originals and quite costly clones. :joy: You say the RE is better in every way as a clone, except that you donā€™t own the TD, you donā€™t know how accurate the circuits are, and you donā€™t know the components used. How are you comparing aside from a few YouTube videos of preproduction units?

If you had a production TD on hand, compared the waveforms versus original on a scope, compared the knob ranges, etc in a scientific way, then of course Iā€™d believe what you say.

However, youā€™re just speculating.

3 Likes

Like I said it sounds ok, but not good enough for me personally, I donā€™t need any more 303 clones either, but one of the best clones is much cheaper than even the TD-3, technobox on my phone and it does 808 and 909 too.

Great, it doesnā€™t sound good enough for you, you have enough 303 in your life already and wonā€™t be buying this, youā€™re happy with an emulation on your phone, got it. Canā€™t imagine why youā€™d want to continue posting in this thread with those things in mindā€¦

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait to void my warranty and see if this thing has trimmers inside.

4 Likes